Don't care about power cuts any more!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Cooked lunch on my Prity range cooker today:

20170220_133533.jpg

Not quite as pretty as an Esse Ironheart, perhaps, but it was £280 delivered from the factory (in Bulgaria!). We've got tall chimneys so the draught is amazing. I've glued some rope around the door as it doesn't have any but the airflow is still not very controllable. There's a flue damper which makes a difference but it's never going to make it through the night. That said, I was outside for a few hours this morning and left it with a cherry log inside. It was still full of big cinders when I got back in and shoving some more fuel (mainly willow) in soon got it up to temperature again. Annoyingly, since the power company pollarded and chipped all of my willow, we don't have much of the small branch stuff left although it splits very easily and we have plenty of logs from the bigger stuff.

Lunch wasn't anything particularly complicated, just pasta with a chorizo/garlic/olive concoction but the fact that I didn't have to use any electricity to cook it was very satisfying.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Awesome.

I had an Aga in my previous house which was brilliant. I like the look of the Esse Ironheart too, big advantage is the glass window in the burn / fire box as it's nice to sit in the kitchen and watch the flames which you can't do with an Aga. Also drying stuff becomes so much easier :)

I'd like to get a stove again at some point in the future and £280 is very cheap...

I've just looked at their website and the have some very light options - which will be important for me as my kitchen is on the first floor :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
They are light - don't think you'll be getting Esse quality for a 1/15th of the price. It's actually pretty well made - welds are neat and although the steel gauge isn't terribly thick, it's well finished and not unattractive. Certainly not 1/15th of the quality.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
They are light

Upon closer looking there are a number which are lighter than I am! I was thinking a stove would require structural work to make safe on a first floor, but at that weight no bother - just got to crack on and start saving :)

Who did you go through Prity directly or a different distributor?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I just bought mine on eBay. It arrived sooner than many items I'd bought in the UK and although it took 2 of us to shift it, we could move it fairly easily between us.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Good looking and fantastic value.

I've recently moved to a new place and am getting to grips with an Esse W35 (an older model, looks more like an Aga than the Lionheart - no glass door which is a shame) which provides cooking, hot water and central heating. A Charnwood Island in the living room provides the bushcraft telly effect.

Still on a learning curve but having stripped it down to clear out many months of soot and creosote (the previous owners were mostly burning softwood and seemed to have let maintenance slip), and a chat with the friendly folk at Esse in Lancashire, it all makes a lot more sense but juggling the controls is still more of an art than a science.

It's been years since I lived somewhere with a real fire and as you say, being able to cook on a wood burner is really satisfying.

£280 - Prity amazing value! 😀

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
You lucky.....! I'm dreaming of a wood burned stove like that. It looks awesome!
Congratulations☺

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Astonishing value - I wonder how much they are to buy in Bulgaria? Our Mørso stove was £1,200 and although it's pretty solid, the baffle plate was destroyed in a very short space of time and at the end of the day, it's a metal box to light a fire in. Been quite mild out today so I'll probably let them burn down until this evening.

Planning on getting some storage heater bricks to put in the oven which should retain the heat a bit more. Maximum temperature I've seen is about 180ºC although it does need constant feeding if we wanted to bake in it, or at least some longer burning hardwood

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Just in case anyone was thinking, i cant recommend esse ranges highly enough

We bought a house just to beable to have an esse.

It heats up over half the house, we run it most of the day every day in winter, spend about £300 a year on wood.
it does all the cooking, have the range top means 4 side by side cooking rather than 2 front 2 back, which apparently makes xmas dinenr much easier.
3 ovens are great, good for kiln drying wood too in the coolest.
fresh bread almost every day.

the chimney draught is really important, even an extra 50cm can make so much difference. and also clean every few months at least, makes oven so much hotter.

Esse can also do ironing, just fold clothes and put on top of the hob covers.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Looks great and definitely great value , we use to have a Tirolia cooker/range I think they are Scandanavian , it was in the house we moved into 35 years ago but after 20 years of family use it more or less fell apart , one Christmas we had our power off for 48 hours
about 18 months after we moved in , I loved the warmth and masses of hot water from it .
Wouldn't mind one of those Prity ranges at that price you cant go wrong .

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Brought one a couple of years ago 10 kw output it makes a great addition to the house. Started off as a emergency back up but we are finding we are using it more and more. Bread seems to taste better when cooked in the wood burning oven. As a bonus plenty of hot water as well. The brother in law is a eccy by trade and wired in a 12 volt lighting system in the house run off a solar system which is big enough to run the TV as well. I think we are covered in an emergency.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE