Donkey jackets, the ultimate wool shirt?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Donkey jackets (if you can find one!) are they the ultimate heavyweight wool shirts? They're like them spendy made in NZ (via China) shirts only more wind resistant and a fair bit cheaper. Discuss.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No, way too stiff. Look on eBay for used Pendleton wool shirts, cheap as chips. Ask the seller to measure the chest size as they may have shrunk a little if not washed properly in the past. Look on American sites for US Army wool shirts, they are pretty good and don't break the bank.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i used to have an old NCB one that saw quite a lot of wear in the winter, i quite like them to be honest, lovely and warm and really hard wearing, but they're far from an ideal wool outer layer IMHO

stuart

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Donkey jackets (if you can find one!) are they the ultimate heavyweight wool shirts? They're like them spendy made in NZ (via China) shirts only more wind resistant and a fair bit cheaper. Discuss.

All good bushcraft kit is about being useful in more ways than one.

This is a great idea, 1. it will keep you warm on those overnight camps

2. in the current enviroment of cuts, you can always use it on a strike picket line, just like the good old 80s

Col

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A good peacoat will keep you snuggy warm. The double breasted front keeps the wind out better than a donkey jacket.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Ugh, I think they're horrible looking things. However, they used to issue them as prison jackets in Dartmoor to combat the severe cold, and that was in the summer.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
A good peacoat will keep you snuggy warm. The double breasted front keeps the wind out better than a donkey jacket.

+1 on the peacoat, i've got an actual Greatcoat for winter it laughs in the face of rain or snow and wind doesn't bother you a jot.
heavy mind but you're right about the double breast it really keeps out the wind. i've considered a peacoat as a lighter alternative to the greatcoat before i may yet get one.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
In reality a cheap fleece is as warm as a wool shirt but not really bush uniform.

Cheap fleeces are just as warm but they do tend to hum after a day or two of activity. I have both but I do love my wool! I feel a lot more confident around sparks from fires in wool as well and they take longer to wet out...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Donkey jackets with the waterproof shoulder coverings would be useful... anyone know where you can get them these days?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE