Done it again! Tell us your injury stories!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Goatboy, OWCH I would not like half of that to happen to me in a lifetime...

Hugh, yikes I hope you get better soon mate.

My current booboo happened last Saturday I was in the garden walking towards the steps and I fell over down said steps and gave myself a black eye and I bit through my top lip I have 6 stiches and one hell of a ugly scab on my lip thankfully the doctor I saw at the A&E said it should heal flawlessly.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The sort of thrill many experience only once in a lifetime!

Tell us more.

I slipped whilst using a gerber multi-tool to cut some carpet, hit myself in the groin (narrowly missing anything important) and sliced into my femoral artery, luckily I didn't sever it or I'd be dead. Lots of direct pressure, ambulance ride to hospital, tetanus jab just in case, spot of super glue on the surface wound, and back to base for tea and medals. All good fun but wouldn't want to do it again :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Injuries & Operations
Sorry Cameron, meant to post this up earlier. (In some semblance of order though towards the end I started remembering things that had happened earlier)
Hernia operation on right hip area before the age of one. (My first patchy memory is of the nurses face as they were knocking me out. My second memory is of the stitches bursting a couple of days later.)
At secondry school, multiple ribs broken multiple times playing rugby and also not being all that popular with a certain group of blokes. Ribs now sit permenantly off to one side.
Badly gashed right foot and lower leg putting it through the plate mirrors at the end of the dojo wall as I wasn't paying attention while sparring.
Broke the index and middle knuckles on right hand punching through a bus shelter window when the chap I was aiming for ducked after he jumped me one evening.
Knife slashes on both hands after a young gentleman attacked me with one when I was working the door one evening. (Took it off him and had a quiet word with him)
Almost knocked out and a blinking sore skull after getting half a pool cue over the back of head at the cashline machine one night. Got him too.
Broke ribs again against steering wheel, broke nose going through windscreen and damaged ankle as engine came through dash and crushed it (I was wearing a seatbelt) when a car hit me at a junction as I was waiting to turn right. (Luckily all the arrows from my archery kit in the boot stuck into seats and roof lining rather than me. (The traffic cop asked if I'd been attacked by Indians after sticking his head in). Also that the ciggy I was smoking stubbed itself out going through the windsreen as there were two jerry cans of chainsaw fuel in there too.
Broke thumb and had to reset it myself half way up a climbing route. (Never got it fixed and it's still squint.)
Shot myself in the head (luckily small calibre) when a bullet bounced back after going through a rabbit and into the rocks behind it. Pretty spectacular on the blood front that one.
Burn on right upper arm when bed caught fire after a halogen clip on spot light fell on it whilst I was asleep.
Sliced forehead open with butchers knife cuttng cloth. Never fold cloth over a large blade and cut upwards!
Have dislocated both shoulders playing rugby and falling out of bath.
Came close to dying from a tick bite as heart & organs failed.
Infection got into my joints and destroyed my left hip and nearly sterilised me.
Pacemaker fitted to help heart after the lymes disease.
Total left hip replacement with a rather fancy titanium and ceramic job.
Almost forgot there was a ruptured achilies tendon again playing rugby... it's a great game you know!
Bruised my bladder (luckily that was all) falling about twenty-five feet vertically off a climb.
There have been a few other scrapes; like the odd shotgun pellet coming my way when we took Italian shooters out on the estate - luckily I always wore a US Vietnam issue flack vest on those days. Oh and there was the day my head got set on fire.. Oh and I got knocked off my motor bike and through a fence into a field by a speeding car once.

Jesus! Goatboy some must call you lucky as in lucky to be alive....!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I slipped whilst using a gerber multi-tool to cut some carpet, hit myself in the groin (narrowly missing anything important) and sliced into my femoral artery, luckily I didn't sever it or I'd be dead. Lots of direct pressure, ambulance ride to hospital, tetanus jab just in case, spot of super glue on the surface wound, and back to base for tea and medals. All good fun but wouldn't want to do it again :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

You lucky git!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Injuries & Operations
Sorry Cameron, meant to post this up earlier. (In some semblance of order though towards the end I started remembering things that had happened earlier)
Hernia operation on right hip area before the age of one. (My first patchy memory is of the nurses face as they were knocking me out. My second memory is of the stitches bursting a couple of days later.)
At secondry school, multiple ribs broken multiple times playing rugby and also not being all that popular with a certain group of blokes. Ribs now sit permenantly off to one side.
Badly gashed right foot and lower leg putting it through the plate mirrors at the end of the dojo wall as I wasn't paying attention while sparring.
Broke the index and middle knuckles on right hand punching through a bus shelter window when the chap I was aiming for ducked after he jumped me one evening.
Knife slashes on both hands after a young gentleman attacked me with one when I was working the door one evening. (Took it off him and had a quiet word with him)
Almost knocked out and a blinking sore skull after getting half a pool cue over the back of head at the cashline machine one night. Got him too.
Broke ribs again against steering wheel, broke nose going through windscreen and damaged ankle as engine came through dash and crushed it (I was wearing a seatbelt) when a car hit me at a junction as I was waiting to turn right. (Luckily all the arrows from my archery kit in the boot stuck into seats and roof lining rather than me. (The traffic cop asked if I'd been attacked by Indians after sticking his head in). Also that the ciggy I was smoking stubbed itself out going through the windsreen as there were two jerry cans of chainsaw fuel in there too.
Broke thumb and had to reset it myself half way up a climbing route. (Never got it fixed and it's still squint.)
Shot myself in the head (luckily small calibre) when a bullet bounced back after going through a rabbit and into the rocks behind it. Pretty spectacular on the blood front that one.
Burn on right upper arm when bed caught fire after a halogen clip on spot light fell on it whilst I was asleep.
Sliced forehead open with butchers knife cuttng cloth. Never fold cloth over a large blade and cut upwards!
Have dislocated both shoulders playing rugby and falling out of bath.
Came close to dying from a tick bite as heart & organs failed.
Infection got into my joints and destroyed my left hip and nearly sterilised me.
Pacemaker fitted to help heart after the lymes disease.
Total left hip replacement with a rather fancy titanium and ceramic job.
Almost forgot there was a ruptured achilies tendon again playing rugby... it's a great game you know!
Bruised my bladder (luckily that was all) falling about twenty-five feet vertically off a climb.
There have been a few other scrapes; like the odd shotgun pellet coming my way when we took Italian shooters out on the estate - luckily I always wore a US Vietnam issue flack vest on those days. Oh and there was the day my head got set on fire.. Oh and I got knocked off my motor bike and through a fence into a field by a speeding car once.

I blame the parents1

The one that stands out is that you were smoking in a car whilst carrying fuel..

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Last night I somehow managed to have a bit of 40 year old garden wire (you know the stuff that is used for plants to climb up) go ping and impale itself through my little finger :rolleyes:

"Love, can you get the wire cutters please" shouted down the garden. She couldn't find them but the leatherman worked fine.

I'm not really sure how it happened as there was no tension on the wire but I suppose it takes very little force to push it end on through flesh.

I wasn't going to go to a&E on a friday night without having dinner first so I had to take it out myself. The ex-nurse next door took a look and agreed friday night A&E not worth it and just go and get tetanus shot in the morning.

Killed two birds with one stone and did A&E at the QE and then visited my mum who's in there at the moment.

Strange this is it never hurt at all :confused: Still doesn't until I manage to bash it on something.

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
I'm ruined. Nothing like as exciting as the war wounds on here. Most of my injuries are sports based.

NEVER and I mean NEVER take your tendon health for granted. Pushing my body for too hard as a gymnast and football player since I was a toddler has left some of my tendons a bit mad at me.

The worst one's being my right shoulder. Tendinopathy's (poorly tendons) are without doubt one of the most depressing injuries you can get if you love being active. I was at a point last year after twisting my shoulder where I had to ice and lay down for an hour just from wiping my behind after number 2's!

The worst problem being that tendon's get such poor blood supply compared to muscles that we're often talking 6 months to almost 2 years recover from serious tendon problems.

It's been almost 6 months since I'v been able to do a bow drill for fear of aggravating it. Rehab is going well to the point I'm almost pain free now with full mobility. I can't wait to get that lovely burning wood smell again for the first time in ages.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Well my injury of this week is a bit low rent compared to some of the ones on this thread but it has proved bloody inconvenient to say the least. The Mrs was away visiting her brothers for a few days with the boys and I was tasked with doing some extensive garden work well she was away. I happily bashed away with my dangerous machete and lethal tomahawk merrily all day. I had my thick leather gloves on and was careful about what I was doing. I stopped for a brew at about 4pm and got the old Laplander out to trim some branches within two minutes I had managed to saw through the top of my thumb. Sadly my gloves were still in the kitchen next to the kettle. Not a horrific injury as such but so inconvenient as it is amazing how much you use your thumbs when working. I have managed to re-split the wound three days in a row so far trying to finish the garden off.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
All on the same day I fractured my skull, broke my left collar bone & left shoulder joint, all the ribs on my left hand side, all the ribs on my right hand side except for four, broke my pelvis, my left femur, burst a kidney, punctured a lung, bent both knees in the wrong direction wrecking them (they told me 'you'll never walk again' but they were wrong!). For that you need a special tool; it's called a motorbike ..... night all!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I blame the parents1

The one that stands out is that you were smoking in a car whilst carrying fuel..

I know, Darwanism in action as they say. Was young and daft and carried fuel all the time as I was a cutter while at Forestry school. (Never smoked while fueling a saw like some though, that really is daft. I was more lucky with the arrows at the time, some of the broadheads were a tad sharp.

And yes it was my parents fault, they didn't love me you know! :(

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Well, probably my nastiest injury story was in Wales last year. I'd had a great holiday canoeing, climbing and fishing. Somewhere along the way, I did what I thought at the time was pulling a muscle in my shoulder. I thought nothing of it. But a few days later it began to hurt. A lot. I was on a beach with my friend, climbing a few little boulders and such in the sea, when suddenly I couldn't breathe, couldn't walk or move my upper body without pain. I had to be carried off the beach as I couldn't climb up the many steep steps and banks up to the campsite. I got to the doctors with my Mum and the first thing the doctor said to me was "I'm just gonna check if your lung is collapsing. Great! As it turns out, I just had torn one of my muscles between my ribs. I still regularly sprain or pull that muscle. Not as dramatic as others but it hurt a fair bit at the time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your accident sounds a bit like a script for a 1970's public information film. Hope there's no nerve damage.

Can't tell on the nerve damage as, on removing the stitches, there was rampant infection :(. Currently on the second attempt to find an effective antibiotic. Swabs should be back on Monday to try to narrow down an effective treatment. Certainly can't close the finger due to swelling and yuck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE