Dog and Swift Water Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I’m looking to bring my dog Scrub on a trip where we will have several swift water crossings. I have not been there yet but have seen photos.

Hypothermia is not a problem. The river will be about 20 metres wide when not in flood. Depth variable not usually more than a metre. This is Grade 1 white water possibly 2 in places. Bottom is rocky/pebbly. Some exposed rocks.

She is a strong swimmer but her experience has been lake, slowly moving river and sea. She is not overly fond of surf.

How can I get her across without upsetting or endangering her? I could carry her but that is a 2 arm job and it won’t be much fun for her if I slip.

Leaving her to swim the river may be a bit harsh as she may end up a 100 metres down stream though I don’t think there will be a problem with high banks. If it was one crossing only, I’d let her swim but 5 is a bit much.

Any advice appreciated

Here is Scrub after swimming a lake

DSCN0832.jpg

If you were closer I'd give you my dog life jacket as it's too wee for my dog. But I'd be tempted to get one and they will swim anything in them. You could even rope your dog to the built in life jacket harness and pull across attached to you. Or build a simple raft but I suspect the dog won't stay on it.

Or put your dog in a large harness to carry over on your back, when my dogs hips went I carried him in my bergan (Collie) and he loved it.

Woodsmoke

P

Pippin

Is there any possibility of you checking out how well she copes with fast water before the trip?

My springer has worked out fast flowing water - he knows to jump in upstream of where he's headed and to swim at an angle. Didn't take him long to figure this out, just a bit of experience

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Since I can’t “test” her in swift water locally, I guess I’ll go for a combination of the advice from you guys. Thanks for the ideas

If it seems too deep and swift I’ll first try her in a kiddie life jacket (no chance of getting a doggie vest here).

I’ll bring a 100 litre Bergen and put her in it if she starts to balk.

I am reluctant to tie a line to her life jacket. Most things start to submerge if they are restrained by a line in fast water and a doggie’s nose is pretty close to the surface.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE