Does striking a firesteel on the spine of a knife mark/damage it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I've never really used my knife to strike sparks from a firesteel, but recently tried it with a new knife.
It worked perfectly, but now, running my finger along the spine, I can feel little dents I think.
It's a Condor Bushcraft Basic 4 (1075 steel I think)

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks for the reply. :)
I'm guessing that with 45 thread views, everyone has had similar views to Mesquite.
It's really weird, you can barely see the little dents, but you can feel them, especially running a fingernail down the spine. Only on the side I used to strike the LMF firesteel too.
At first I thought it was residue from the firesteel or something, but it'd definitely made some very minor marks.
I'm not too worried - it was bought to be heavily used - in a months time it will be completely broken in anyway :D

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Yes. It does damage the steel. The sparks you see are hot pieces of metal being removed by the sharp edge of flint. Neither my Mora or Condor have produced very good sparks but my old piece of file does brilliantly all three have signs of use though.
Rob.

Read op wrong, flint causes issues but not a ferro' rod,(unless steel is very soft) firesteels are what one uses to strike flint so my sleep restricted brain got it all switched around should have read the other posts first like I usually do.:(

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Yes. It does damage the steel. The sparks you see are hot pieces of metal being removed by the sharp edge of flint. Neither my Mora or Condor have produced very good sparks but my old piece of file does brilliantly all three have signs of use though.
Rob.

Read op wrong, flint causes issues but not a ferro' rod,(unless steel is very soft) firesteels are what one uses to strike flint so my sleep restricted brain got it all switched around should have read the other posts first like I usually do.:(

I probably should have said ferro rod.
Because I've always used Light My Fire ferro rods, I always call them firesteels because that's what the company calls them.
For flint & steel I do use an old file. (Used the back of a knife once - made a right mess of it!)

Santaman 2000 & Bluebs4, thanks for your input - glad I'm not going crazy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE