Does it bother you to "go plastic" ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't have a problem with "modern" or plastic, my problem is, as you say aesthetics. I can barely stand to mix the new and the traditional! I know that eventually I'm going to end up with two full kits, a modern and a more traditional (call it 1880's to 1920's-ish.)

I'm kind of the other way round with that and there's no way on earth I would walk around clad from heat to foot in traditional gear unless I was being paid to do so (in which case, all bets are off).

I'd look like a right old "Hey Nonny Nonny" re-enactment type yoghurt weaver.

Unistat76

Dec 1, 2014
United States
...I'd look like a right old "Hey Nonny Nonny" re-enactment type yoghurt weaver.

ROFL! Well, around here re-enactment guys are American Civil War or Fur Trapper/Mountain Man/Western Scouts so I'm not sure how much yogurt weaving would get done around the fire.

Traditional bushcrafter style, in my personal dictionary, mostly means wood, wool, leather, canvas, brass, & carbon steel. I'd leave the modern rifle and handgun at home and bring the lever-gun and revolver. Same with the alcohol burning stove, trade it for a wood stove and tin pots all the way. Do a canvas tarp and bed roll with a wool blanket instead of my nylon hammock. That sort of thing. Not really going to rock the buckskin loincloth, know what I mean?

It probably doesn't help that my degree is in history and I spent too many years working at a museum. If it wasn't period, it was right.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Probably not. But the blade would be so much easier to rehandle. Split a stick and lash it around. I believe Fiskars is the Mora of the axes :)

Wouldn't work - the split would open and the head would fall out. It would be nearly impossible to make a decent permanent replacement - whereas its simple with a wooden handle.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Worked for ages.

Look a little closer

http://houz.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/stone_axe.jpg

Those heads are not held in "split sticks". A lot of wood is removed and the handle shaped to accept the head. Even then it is far less secure than a socketed head.

If you like Fiskars, thats fine, but until I see a handle replaced on one (in a manner that I would consider safe to use), I maintain that they are not easily replaceable. If you don't agree, thats fine too, but because some bloke in a video says it can be done, and then fails to do it, does not make it doable in my book :)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Nope no issues using a quality plastic handle axe such as a fiskars. The downside for me is the plastic handle can't be replaced but for that price point they are wicked cutters and a fine carver to that said give me a wood handle any day

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
We are playing semantics.
http://www.survival.org.au/images/axe.jpg
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Images/26092/Hafted axe TLF_big.jpg

My main point was that it would be easier to diy something in a pinch with what was left from fiskars. Especially when you have no other tools to carve a nice handle and a wedge.
And in real life it makes no difference because a new Fiskars is not that much more expensive than rehandling a GB.

And I'm not a fan boy. I simply like how cheap Fiskars is and how well it works. And a little opposition against the myth of syntetic handle=crap.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I simply like how cheap Fiskars is and how well it works. And a little opposition against the myth of syntetic handle=crap.

If you read my original post I said I have no problem with synthetics. I own a number of synthetic axes and mauls

23) Axe splitting by British Red, on Flickr

The difference is that I can replace the handles if they fail. What I object to in the Fiskars is the stupid (in my view) way the head is attached to the handle. I don't want to have to buy another axe because the handle is damaged - I want to maintain my tools. That's just me though. If your argument is that Fiskars are cheap and effective, we agree - I just don't like the design, but I don't like much about the "throw away" society.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I didn't say anything about them beeing disposable. The main point in the videos is how hard was it to destroy the axe. I strongly believe that unless you run it over with a tank or use the HANDLE to chop rocks you will never ever have to worry about replacing it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What you said was

And in real life it makes no difference because a new Fiskars is not that much more expensive than rehandling a GB.

To me that a Fiskars is cheap compared to a GB is not the point. I own axes cheaper than a Fiskars that can be rehandled. I prefer the ability to maintain a tool and I don't believe that is possible with a Fiskars handle. That's my point in a nutshell - I think it is a bad handle design.

You like them, I don't. Thats okay - we disagree. Lets leave it :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Yeah. Didn't mean to get in to an argument.
And at the end of the day if you know how to use an axe you won't break it and the material won't matter.
Just a vote from me that there are decent plastic ones out there :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Old axe heads aren't that difficult to find cheap, rehang it.. it's probably better made than a lot of modern axes. And certainly more variety if you're patient.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm not as experienced in these matters as most on here, but I bought a Mora knife with a part-orange handle and an orange scabbard and a Fiskars axe in similar colours for the simple reason that they will be easier to find if I put them down somewhere in the grass or woods than if they had wooden or camouflaged handled. So convenience and safety ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE