Does anyone make a stainless steel lid for the old crusader mug?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Probably the wrong place to ask but do any of you make a lid for the crusader mug from steel and if so do you sell them? I've made one from aluminium but it's a bit crap. If you do I'm happy to pay or swap for one.

Atb

Tom

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
CNC milling or 3D printing are nowadays options to copy a Crusader plastic lid in steel.
I have no idea about the costs though.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
One could inform oneself about the prices and organise a group buy. It's surely cheaper to copy them if they can make more than just one.

One even could think about taking BCB into the boat. They could sell it like bread of course. They obviously just didn't think about the market.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I didn’t try Etsy but here’s one fro eBay

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Tried the Flexistove in the back garden,not much of a breeze,but i reckon it would need an extra windshield,not good really,i might try gorilla taping a couple of holes over.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Someone used to make them on this forum years ago and the heavy cover 58 pattern crusader mug was either sold by ray mears or/as well as Dave Canterbury outfitters worth a search.

Seems eBay only now which is a surprise.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
How many here would be interested, maybe it’s worth approaching them again. I’d imagine the 58 pattern is the most popular water bottle amongst British Schrafters.

Reactions: Larry Robinson

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's something like the heavy cover lid above or the one Cadet Direct sell for another style of steel mug,

that I want. I've made a ally one like in the video, but not so well done. But I'm no big fan of ally, it's too prone to pitting and to be as strong it has to be noticeably thicker and the over the edge and down syle of lid means it has to be longer and wider than the mug it's self, which is a pretty tight fit in some of the pouches I carry it in. Ideally I'd want to store it in the bottom of the pouch or if it's very slim down the back. Weights not so important for this set up, ability to take abuse is.

Looking at BCBs website they do have a new, black silicon lid in the pipeline, with a plugged drinking/ straining hole but I vaguely remember seeing that last year and they still haven't released them, it was the Mk III Dragon or some such, which may just fit the newer rally ally mug, but since both fit onto the base if a 58 pat bottle they can't be that different?

If my metal working was better I'd copy the heavy cover job but it's not.

Cheers for all the input

Atb

Tom

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I've idly looked at the lid issue and thought that a wood lid would work fairly well apart from over an open fire. Better Insulation, easier to DIY and could be routed from a IKEA Bamboo chopping board. It would double as a small chopping board or stand. Maybe a simple screw in folding ring to aid in lifting it off a hot mug?

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So far I see the lid that @Danceswithhelicopters shows us was offered also by The Bushcraft Store in London but they don't sell it anymore.

You could first call there and ask about it and who made it and if there is a chance to get another series.

Otherwise one could of course bring the lid to somebody who is able to make such stuff and order a few copies.
It isn't overly complicated to make that.

I just worked for 12 month in this industrie and that 30 years ago and even I could easily make it would I own the needed tools.
That's no rocket science!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
In theory I could knock one up relatively easily but I’ve a heap of commissions to get done not to mention the day job and a one month old baby.

Depending on interest one could simply get a blank laser cut, make up a tool to bend the edges in the flypress and bobs your uncle. But there is a minimum £120 order at the laser cutters plus the cost of materials at the minute is extortionate. Particularly for stainless sheet. Add time to make tooling and labour they wouldn’t be cheap.

All the best
Andy

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE