Does anyone else here fly fish for Carp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have done in the past. By my own admission I cheated like mad though :eek:
I tied a 'special carp fly' in readiness for the experiment, a single #8 hook covered in deer-hair. Just like a Muddler minnow head, but just the head, covering the entire hook shank.
Got the carp feeding happily on Chum mixers catapulted on to the surface, then cast the fly into the middle of them :D
They were so preoccupied sucking down little brown blobs that it only took a few seconds for the first take :D

In all I think I took about 20 fish that way on an 8 weight rod and line, using a 9 foot leader tapered to 8lb at the tip. I gave it up in the end as I could catch the carp more easily on real mixers with a 'proper' rod and reel, thereby avoiding the line burns that my left hand suffered from catching carp to just over 20lbs in a shallow estate lake on fly gear. Shallow water means that they can't dive when you hook 'em... they just take off at Warp 9 across the lake :lmao:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day longstrider

They are definetly good fighters.

I haven't landed any around the 20lb mark yet. Average would be around 4 kilo. Great fun on a 4wt rod :D

My best haul to date has been 64 in a 6 1/2 hour session. The pic below shows the majority landed (I got sick & tired of carting them all back for the pic).

Partofthedayscatch1.jpg

My arm was certainly sore at the end of it :)

Kind regards
Mick

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's some good vermin control there. goodjob

I've never caught carp on the fly but have landed quite a few double figure fish whilst after Roach with a match rod and 2lb line. It certainly takes a while to get them to the net.

W

wildjim

I've tied imitations of bread pieces as people would feed the carp. It worked the carp will take off like a feight train for the weed bed then stop, good thing cause otherwise I couldn't stop it!

Also I used a black ant in the river where I noticed carp feeding on the surface.

They are fun to catch but I haven't eaten any.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE