docken grub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
when i was a kid we used large white grubs found living under the roots of docks .As i remember they were deadly bait for trout.I wonder if anyone else used these and do they know what these grubs turned into in their final life stage .Cheers grip

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Were they sort of wrinkled/ concertina style ? and not white white but kind of dirty creamy white ?
If so they're crane fly larvae.

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
One of the lads at the farm was telling me about using these bugs for trout fishing just today. He reckons they ace worms.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
yes your description of them is spot on thanks for clearing up a 30 year mystery.It never fails to amaze me what a diverse and talented bunch of people post on here thanks again Toddy. atb grip

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try in the lawn under the daisies and buttercups. They're root eaters, mostly survive on grass, but they seem to like the small sweet side shoots of the dockens. They don't do well in bone dry conditions and dock roots go deep for moisture.

cheers,
M

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Were they sort of wrinkled/ concertina style ? and not white white but kind of dirty creamy white ?
If so they're crane fly larvae.

cheers,
Toddy

Cranefly larvae makes sense, Toddy. There has always been the myth that they're Stag Beetle larvae but I always thought that to be nonsense. For one thing, I've never seen a Stag Beetle anywhere in Scotland! What is a surprise to me is the realisation that I've never sought to identify them!

I've used Docken Grubs since I was a boy and yes, they are deadly for trout, sea trout and salmon, although something of a nuisance to keep on the hook, easily pinched off and short lived as a bait.

They're very difficult to find in dry summer conditions and I believe they're most common under Tansies which tend to proliferate on recovering industrial landscapes.

There is an issue here though, that the devastation I've seen caused by anglers ripping Dockens and Tansies out by the roots is unacceptable to me, and a full day's fishing using only Docken grubs requires a substantial number. I no longer use them!

I have set out with the intentions of heeling the plants back in and giving them a drink but it doesn't do much good... they say "The road to hell is lined with good intentions."

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Stag beetle larvae are big critters and live in rotting logs and decaying wood.

HQBRZQJRKQOR0QZ00QORYK1RLQJQ403QG000U0FQ70DQ50FQHQ9R403Q3KTQI0TQ80DQJKYQ50JQ.jpg

Crane fly larvae are also known as leatherjackets and quite alot smaller.

crane.fly.larvae.jpg
crane_fly2.jpg

The only other white larvae I know that are root eaters are cockchafer larvae.

372362225_2e92ee5a6f.jpg

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
That's the guy, Jonathan! The cockchafer larvae.

I'm feeling a wee bit sheepish here, as I once prided myself in my knowledge of entomology as relevant to a fly-fisherman, and although concerned mainly with larvae, nymph and adult "forms", I'm somewhat shocked to discover that I never bothered to identify a familiar grub.

I did know that the leatherjacket is the cranefly larvae... after you reminded me! I've never caught a fish on one and have always suspected they exude some defensive chemical.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cockchafer larvae is very similar to Stag beetle larvae, just smaller, which is probably where some people get mixed up. No idea about leatherjackets exuding foul chemicals, birds love them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE