Do you think I've voided my warranty?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Played around with my Fallkniven S1 to make it a bit more suitable for bushcraft and put on a larger handle.
fal1.jpg

fal2.jpg

fal3.jpg

The wood is Amazaque (sp?).

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
depends how it might break. Not that it ever will and since fallkniven doesn't look like it will exist soon I doubt there will be a warrenty to loose

I like the knife, very nice touch

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Nice - that looks so much better than a standard S1!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hoodoo said:
Yup, that looks real good. How long is that blade?
It's 5" long and 3/4" thick, so it's a little chunky for fine work.
All I really did to the blade was remove the false edge on the back and dropped the point a little.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Celtic Dragon said:
You sure mate, 3/4" is almost as thick as my axe!!!!!!!!
Oooops! 3/16" of an inch. Maths was never my strong subject :?:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks all, I was really nervous grinding it down in case I overheated it and ruined the temper, very easy to do near the tip as it's so thin. Any one thinking of doing something similar do very quick passes on the grinder and dip in cold water after each pass.
Now I have to make a sheath for it as the original one still fits but is right handed.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
A deal to buy out Falkniven is in its final stage according to one of my contacts... :wink:

The knife has been modified so technically would be out of warranty, however if your mod caused the failure then I would expect this. If it did not, I would expect it still to be covered. Many mod their own knives and such a nice mod would be unlikely to be a problem.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The General said:
A deal to buy out Falkniven is in its final stage according to one of my contacts... :wink:
I certainly hope the deal goes through. It would be a real shame if we couldn't get their excellent blades anymore.
And I wasn't really worried about my warranty, the S1 is a big old lump of steel after all.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
leon-1 said:
Snufkin, that is a very nice job, when you say you ground it did you use a grinder or belt sander on it??
I took the bulk off with my bench grinder but it only has a small wheel so it's dificult to get a flat, even finish so I just flattened it with my belt sander (just an inexpensive hand held one clamped to my workmate). I didn't reshape the handle at all, just cut off the plastic, punched out the remains of the lanyard bit and then did the morticed handle. I only chiseled out one side of the wood, that way I could sand it down flush with the metal and get a better fit. The off center glue line is not too noticeable.

leon-1

Snufkin said:
I took the bulk off with my bench grinder but it only has a small wheel so it's dificult to get a flat, even finish so I just flattened it with my belt sander (just an inexpensive hand held one clamped to my workmate). I didn't reshape the handle at all, just cut off the plastic, punched out the remains of the lanyard bit and then did the morticed handle. I only chiseled out one side of the wood, that way I could sand it down flush with the metal and get a better fit. The off center glue line is not too noticeable.

As I said before it looks the bees knees, it was interest as to what you used as I am thinking about a belt sander at the moment :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE