Do you shop "nature-friendly" ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you shop "nature-friendly"?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Yes, I try

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • No, didn't know about it

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • No, I don't care

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
mike ameling, we could discuss the issues around peak oil and climate change by pm too if you like...

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I like this thread, I have a few pointers for people who want to buy greener gear.
Allways buy clothing and gear that is made in the uk, or europe.(hard now a days)
Buy the best quality gear you can- it lasts longer.
Always try and repair gear before you chuck it.
Recycle as much as poss, some leading outdoor shops have fleece bins you can chuck you old bits in.
G back to basics- I'm sure that there are alot of people who collect gear and never use it,
I try and use natural materials where ever poss, but i do use Buffalo clothing and Paramo (the later in now made in Columbia) However i must ask you all, do you opt for a synthetic layer made in the uk or some rare alpacca fur trimmed woolen jobby from Tarquin at a Green festival- origins unknown?

xylaria

I try to be green.

Like tengu most of my choices are due to econonics. Quite a bit of stuff that is labeled eco-frendly is just marketing of a premium product, sold at high prices. The easiest way for the average bushcrafter to lower their carbon footprint is quite simply to make their own kit, and interact with our local environment. We don't need to do expensive courses in the sweden to be experts, or buy hand knitted wooly hats form a sammi tribes woman to look the part. Recycling that shunk tatty jumper into a good pair mittens, buying a 40 year old wool blanket from oxfam to make a bushcrafters top is far better for the environment than something that is made from organic llama from a commune in montana. Some kit like waterproofs finding the greenest affordable opition that works is very difficult (please prove me wrong).

Those of us that are into wild food, know there is nothing better than food that was a part of ecosystem three hours ago and is now on your plate. No plastic wrapping, no being shipped up and down the country in trucks, just a short a walk, or car ride, to get to your plate.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
for those who are interested, here is a guide to what is involved with organic standards and how to meet them as a grower or processor. If you don't meet these standards you cannot market your food as organic.

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sacert/sacertweb.nsf/e8c12cf77637ec6c80256a6900374463/4d7054234b8da20a8025740b0012f83f/$FILE/Standards%20for%20the%20farming%20&%20growing%20industry%202008.pdf

rob

A link to the Legislation is http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/growing/organic/standards/index.htm

Graham

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Good grief. I've just re-read some of the post I made on this thread. Apologies to all for the bickering and lame references. (except the SA one).

:eek:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm afraid I buy according to what I need from a product. Plain as. Might seem wrong but at the end of the day if I'm up a hill in a blizzard I want the gear to get me back safely not some organic, nature loving hippy brand that might perform at its limit but has no degree of safety.

However, I must qualify that by saying that most good brands now offer better green credentials and are not always the most expensive neither. One brand I do like is Golite as they have really good gear and have gone carbon neutral and hyper green. Marmot and Patagonia are brands I own for their performance who have good credentials as far as the planet huggers are concerned. However I use Primus gas stoves and drive to where I do my stuff so all in my outdoors activities are definitely damaging the planet. Public transport is not an option if I am to do my activities.

BTW personally I don't like cotton for use in the outdoors. I know a lot in bushcraft circles think its a good fabric I don't. Yeah it doesn't produce burn holes as easily as a nylon, polyester or polypropylene. I don't often use a fire as often as a gas or meths stove so not a problem fro me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE