Do you really think................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
By christ i hate to admit it, but,,,

A mobile phone is the best survival tool most of us would ever need (TEOTWAWKI and out of reception areas exepted)

And yet it constantly amazes me how many people don't keep a car charger for theirs, or one of the emergency chargers that run on AAs when they are out on a trip for a few days.

Cost a few quid on e-bay and can sit in your glove box / pack and, for the money, are probably the most likely to actually be needed!

E

ex member coconino

Andy, It's an interesting question. A true wilderness survival situation may well be unlikely and romantic (in England, at least), but I wonder if perhaps planning and building a survival kit is more about mental survival in the modern urban wilderness. Like the BOB, the chances of them actually being used as envisaged are vanishingly small, but the very act of compiling them lets us focus for a moment on the bare essentials and gives us a break from having to deal with the messy, complicated world of our everyday lives.

I've just watched 127 Hours (the story of a guy who got his arm trapped by a rock when alone in a canyon) and the only really useful physical equipment was water, a knife and something for a tourniquet. What mattered most was his determination to survive. Having said that, it's clearly a good idea to carry a bit of extra kit appropriate to the environment, just in case, and it's fun to play with too and certainly does no harm.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I always carry what I call my 'bushpack', whether I'm on a skidoo, quad or in my boat. It's got all sorts of things to get me through a tough spot in the bush and I modify it somewhat according to the seasons.
Always in it though are:-mini maglite with extra batteries
-first aid kit
-knife
-sharpener
-roll of tape
-roll of snare wire
-compact fishing kit
-compass
-8'x10' plastic tarp
-hatchet
-canteen cup & small cookset
-instant oatmeal, dried soup, beef oxo, instant coffee, tea bags, sugar etc. Basically a couple days worth.
-matches, spare bic, emergency tinder/firestarter
-50' small diameter rope
There's other odds & ends in it but these are the main items.
I use it all the time but I've only truly needed it once, while freighting in the northern part of this province one winter, in January.
I was hauling a load of diesel on a sled pulled by a snocat when it broke down.
This happened late in the afternoon but it was dark already. I ended up staying there for 14 hours till daylight, when I started walking back the way I'd come to get back to the camp.
After walking half a day I made it back okay, but am very glad I had my pack with me, as well as a full sized axe.
It sure made a big difference!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE