do you need a licence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To work out the energy in a projectile is in principle very easy. It's a bit cumbersome in Imperial units (grains, pounds, feet and so on) but in Metric units it's a doddle.

Energy is equal to half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity...

Energy = Mass X Velocity squared (not 1/2 mass)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats the only reason I haven't applied for a FAC yet, but I have spoken to a few people who hold FAC and SGC with criminal records and have obviously not had any problems.

This begs a question from an American.

Certain criminal records over here disqualify one from possessing a firearm (that means even borrowing one not just owning it) whereas other offenses don't. Without going into to much detail, the philosophy is that serious crime such as murder, robbery, rape, etc. (felonies) would disqualify someone. Minor offenses such as most traffic tickets, littering, etc. (misdemeanors) would not.

So my question is: Does the same philosophy hold true there?

Before answering please bear in mind that I'm only asking about the philosophy of the requirement (not about a comparison on what might be considered a "serious" offense there as opposed to here)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My local airgun club will NOT accept a gun if it exceeds 11.6flbs as its too easy to change pellet/lube them and suddenly
its an FAC gun.
If you were to take it to a gunshop and be stopped you Would be prosecuted for having an unregistered firearm.
Also if you did get it to the gunshop and it was over the legal limit they are within there rights to take posession of it or they could be prosecuted for releasing an unregistered firearm...

Also it is harder to get an FAC licence than you think. You need somewhere to shoot it within acordance with the law and
somewhere to keep it and to go through all the checks.

I failed my application for an FAC for my past history even though i have a gun cabinate suitable and the landowners permission and relevent insurance....

All i shoot now are Daystate airguns and they are more than adequate.

monkey.8.mav

Aug 23, 2011
bolton
Nip along to your nearest hunting goods or gun shop matey, they'll be able to talk you through the good and bad points of most air rifles whilst most likely having the rifle there to talk about, any rifle under 12 foot lb doesn't require any kind of license or agreed shoot, but with any where to shoot you'll be frustrated, go have a chat with a shooting club, not only do they give you the time and place the practise and improve but you'll get your face known by the community most likely to know the local shoots or people looking for pest control, and remember you want to shoot on there land, your not doing them a favour, they are doing the favour, have fun matey!:)
i went down there today and was shown an smk xs208 and a crossman phantom 1000

udamiano

On a new journey
This begs a question from an American.

So my question is: Does the same philosophy hold true there?

Before answering please bear in mind that I'm only asking about the philosophy of the requirement (not about a comparison on what might be considered a "serious" offense there as opposed to here)

My neighbour is one of the West Midlands Fire Arm Officers and I asked him your question, his answer was that each application is looked at on an individual basis, and background checks are done on the person making the application, If that person does indeed have any Criminal convictions, then the question of their 'being of an responsible character' is brought into question, even for something as small as a speeding ticket.. the application is then given to the assigned local F.A.O (Fire Arms Officer) who then arranges a visit to have a chat and see what conditions the fire arm is going to be kept in, and also to assess the individual, the application is then forwarded for approval or not based on his assessment. the final decision though rests with the Chief Commissioners office, many of whom are local and shoot locally themselves, so know the area and landowners well.

hope that helps

Day

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the best explaination that i could find of the formula that i've always used.

Multiply the product of the weight of the pellet (in grains) times the square of the velocity and divide that number by 450240. That last number is a constant created by multiplying two times the acceleration of gravity by 7,000 - the number of grains in a pound. The number I am using for the acceleration of gravity is 32.16 f.p.s. That number is obsolete, but the number that replaces it, 32.174 feet per second (f.p.s.) below the 50th latitude, does not change the energy calculation significantly.
Here's how the formula works. Suppose we shoot an 8-grain pellet at 800 (f.p.s.). The energy would be 8 times the square of the number 800, which is 640,000. So, it's 8 times 640,000 - which is 5,120,000. Now, divide that number by the constant 450240 and you get 11.371712. There may be even more digits out to the right of the decimal point, but that's where my small calculator stops, so that's my answer. I'm going to round off the number to two decimal places anyway, so I write it down as 11.37 foot-pounds.

basically; weigh the pellet, multiply that by the muzzle velocity squared, divide your answer by 450240 (a constant derived from the acceleration of gravity) and you end up with energy in ft/lbs.

assuming the gun is a .177 and taking 8 grains as a fairly typical weight for a .177 pellet you get 8(1000X1000)/450240 which gives us 17.77 ft/lbs and five years at her majestys pleasure. same math to that used by ged earlier but i cheated by knowing the formula for old money!

be careful

stuart

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would propose that the formula any of us (doesn't matter which of us) is irrelevant anyway. What matters is what formula will the police use.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My neighbour is one of the West Midlands Fire Arm Officers and I asked him your question, his answer was that each application is looked at on an individual basis, and background checks are done on the person making the application, If that person does indeed have any Criminal convictions, then the question of their 'being of an responsible character' is brought into question, even for something as small as a speeding ticket.. the application is then given to the assigned local F.A.O (Fire Arms Officer) who then arranges a visit to have a chat and see what conditions the fire arm is going to be kept in, and also to assess the individual, the application is then forwarded for approval or not based on his assessment. the final decision though rests with the Chief Commissioners office, many of whom are local and shoot locally themselves, so know the area and landowners well.

hope that helps

Day

Thanks. That does help. It seems that a minor offense in and of itself won't necessarily stop a license being issued but it will trigger a closer look. That's reasonable. It's also encouraging to hear that the final authority is likely another shooter who understands the sport.

Energy = Mass X Velocity squared (not 1/2 mass)

think you mean

Force = Mass x acceleration

force is not energy

Kinetic Energy is

4140f53f66a68e92afec2389ba289e25.png

this is the formula used to work out the muzzle energy
but due to the use of imperial units it looks like this

............................(Mass in grains) x (Velocity squared in FPS)
Energy in Ft Lbs = ------------------------------------------

1 ft lb is the energy required to move 1 Lb a distance of 1 ft

ATB

Duncan

Oh on the OP

over 1000fps is often a selling point in USA for airguns but as most know its usless info with out the pellet weight

for UK 12ft lbs a 177 cal 8.4 grain is approx 800fps
in 22 usually 14grains is approx 620 fps

an 8.4gr pellet at 1000fps is just over 18ft lbs
a 14 gr pellet at 1000fps is just over 31ft lbs

neither is unreasonable for a modern PCP but usually at that power you would use a much heavier pellet or risk blowing them apart

police usually test with the ammo you are found with and a couple of types of what ever they use changes per county

unfortunately the trend for heavier and heavier pellets and the Pneumatic rifles tendency to be more efficient the heavier the pellet mean that one year your fine the next a new pellet comes out that if used in yours makes it over.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......this is the formula used to work out the muzzle energy
but due to the use of imperial units it looks like this

............................(Mass in grains) x (Velocity squared in FPS)
Energy in Ft Lbs = ------------------------------------------

thanks for that duncan, you've done a much better job of illustrating that than i did goodjob

stuart

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
With a Pre charged set at 11.5flb with HN FTT will be over the top with a heaver pellet . The problem is the police do not test guns with a standard weight pellet. so your gun can be legal but fail when tested by the police depending what they are using on that particular day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE