do you need a licence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nip along to your nearest hunting goods or gun shop matey, they'll be able to talk you through the good and bad points of most air rifles whilst most likely having the rifle there to talk about, any rifle under 12 foot lb doesn't require any kind of license or agreed shoot, but with any where to shoot you'll be frustrated, go have a chat with a shooting club, not only do they give you the time and place the practise and improve but you'll get your face known by the community most likely to know the local shoots or people looking for pest control, and remember you want to shoot on there land, your not doing them a favour, they are doing the favour, have fun matey!:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As a comment about the purely financial aspect;
my air rifle set up cost me just shy of a grand about six years ago - once I got my FAC, I bought a second hand .22LR with scope and sound moderator for £150 that just leaves ammunition at around £10 per 100 and it represents a much more capable tool.

Sure, I'd like to try a higher powered air system but it would be something very special for it to compare with .22LR.

ATB

Ogri the trog

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
just going back to the post about legal limits.air rifle 12ftlbs is ok but to own a pistol over 6ftlbs is illegal as far as i'm aware fac or not.if you were to take a second hand rifle that could be over the limit to the gun shop in a carry case and were to be stopped you could be on a sticky wicket.personally take a chrono to buy private.

just going back to the post about legal limits.air rifle 12ftlbs is ok but to own a pistol over 6ftlbs is illegal as far as i'm aware fac or not.if you were to take a second hand rifle that could be over the limit to the gun shop in a carry case and were to be stopped you could be on a sticky wicket.personally take a chrono to buy private.

yes quite right an Air pistol over 6ft lbs is a section 5 fire arm same as a 50 cal machine gun ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I know a guy who can get me an AK47, no questions asked, of course, I live in the Middle East...

Bit overkill for bunnies though.

:D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
To work out the energy in a projectile is in principle very easy. It's a bit cumbersome in Imperial units (grains, pounds, feet and so on) but in Metric units it's a doddle.

Energy is equal to half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity. To do the calculations I'll convert everything to Metric units first (see footnote).

In the Metric (SI) system, energy is measured in Joules, mass is measured in kilograms, and velocity in metres per second.

Most .177 pellets weigh in the region of 8 to 10 grains, and .22 pellets about twice that.

Let's say that the pellet weighs eight grains and it travels at 800 feet per second. I will do the sums on a calculator to avoid rounding errors that might result in a jail sentence. :)

A grain is 64.79891 milligrams exactly. So eight of them is .00051839128 kilograms exactly.

One foot is 0.3048 metres exactly. So 800 feet per second is 243.84 metres per second exactly.

So the energy in the pellet is (half mass x velocity squared) which is

1/2 x 0.00051839128 x 243.84 x 243.84 = 15.411240262877184 Joules. To get a less unwieldy number, to be on the safe side for comparison with the legal limit I'll round that UP to 15.42 joules.

If the velocity is 1000 feet per second instead of 800, the velocity is 1.25 times greater. But the energy is 1.25 x 1.25 times greater so that's over 24 joules. (It's the velocity squared which gives the energy.)

One ft.lb. of energy is (rounded DOWN) 1.3562 joules approximately, so the UK legal limit of 12 ft.lbs. of energy is about 16.27 joules. As you can see an air rifle which shoots an 8 grain pellet at 800 feet per second can be used without a license in the UK, because the energy is only about 15.42 joules. But there is no way that one which will impart a velocity of 1000 feet per second to an eight grain pellet could be legal in the UK without a Firearms Certificate, the energy would be 50% more than the unlicensed limit.

There's a handy online calculator here:

http://www.airgun1.com/articles/kineticenergy.html

Incidentally, other things being equal an air rifle pellet will be a lot more accurate at 800 feet per second than it will at 1000 feet per second.

Footnote:

In the Imperial weights and measures system the unit of mass is NOT the pound. The pound is actually a unit of force, not of mass. The unit of mass is called the 'slug', and it confuses the hell out of everybody because you have to start dividing by the acceleration due to gravity if you use pounds instead of slugs. In the metric system, the unit of mass IS the kilogram so things are simpler. The SI unit of force is the Newton, but we don't care about that as we aren't using it here.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How much would you be prepared to pay for one if $600 is expensive? I've always fancied an MP5 but the police don't seem to sell them on very often :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How much would you be prepared to pay for one if $600 is expensive? I've always fancied an MP5 but the police don't seem to sell them on very often :D

I wouldn't be prepared to buy one at all in the UK, that would earn me a minimum five stretch. In some parts of the world they change hands for a few tens of dollars. You might be surprised how many UK issued weapons find their way onto the black market.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wasn't implying you would in the UK! I heard the vogue now was to hire your gun for a specific hit... perhaps it avoids the VAT that way! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE