Do you know a knife maker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Hi all
I'm looking to buy a new knife. Not had one since I was a scout (we were allowed to carry knives back then) I've been using an opinel no8. but I'd like to get a custom fix blade.

I've read through alot of threads here about different knives etc. I have an idea of the type of knife and grid I'm looking for, just need to findout whos out there that can make knives.

Do you know of a knife maker? Or can you recommend one?

Thanks.
Andy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can highly recommend Gene Ingram.

ingram345_DROP_POINTv2c.jpg

Also, Brian Harrison.

wellington2b.jpg

For Scandis, Jukka Hankala is hard to beat.

tuhkuri_map1c.jpg

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I can reccomend

David Winston
Gene Ingram
David Mosier

Be careful when ordering custom/handmade knives, there are a lot of slow people out there.

Do not pay a deposit on a blade that the maker usually makes unless you have changed it and asked for something a little exotic like stabilized rocking horse poo.

To be really honest though (and I am in the blade business) you may be a lot happier with a quality factory knife.

Also, be very careful ordering handles made from stuff like Water Buffalo horn, the high altitude cold plays hell with them (aeroplane) and if they are not epoxied well to the tang they will seperate a little. I have all but given up with natural materials other than stabilized hardwoods.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I can recommend Stuart Mitchell, and if you look up his recent thread on BB, he's looking for custom commissions.

Other makers who's names come up often, but I've had no personal dealings with:

Stewart Marsh
Mick Spain
Mick Wardell
SWC Knives
Paul Baker
Alan Wood
Shing
Lord Farqhuar (sp?)

Just a few names off the top of my head. Get googling, and have a look on British Blades too, well worth a look.

Hi,

I can offer nothing but praise for Stewart Marsh, he is a wonderful knife maker and IMHO his attention to detail is second to none. I have one of his knives with diamond wood scales. It's a lot chunkier that most bushcraft knives I've seen, being made 6mm 01 tool steel.

Knife_BB.jpg

My other half has a Paul Baker Graduate with maple handle which comes with the benifit of having a combination belt/neck sheath. Which is also a very nice knife.

Hope you find something that you get a lot of pleasure out of owning :D

Phil.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Another vote here for Paul Baker. Unlike certain other knife makers, he seems to be able to turn an order around quickly - in my experience anyway.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Can heartily recommend Roger at bison bushcraft, own one and have seen many of his knives and they are all of outstanding quality. Excellent feel to the handles and generally a pleasure to use.

heres a pic of mine. (just to point out the firesteel was one that i was part way through making and not the one supplied by roger)

235160650_2f61c02b9c_o.jpg

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Simon E said:
Be careful when ordering custom/handmade knives, there are a lot of slow people out there.

There are also a lot of makers with high demand. Doesn't make them slow.

Do not pay a deposit on a blade that the maker usually makes unless you have changed it and asked for something a little exotic like stabilized rocking horse poo.

We are not talking a production line here - if you commission a maker to make a knife for you, then it is not unreasonable for them to ask for a deposit. OK, so if you change your mind later they still have a knife that is saleable, but they then have to sell that separately. Many makers to not do knives for "stock", and only build to order; they may not have the materials on hand - and virtually everyone wants something different...

M

mikehill

John Foxwell is great quality and good value. Or for the ultimate IMHO, J.Neilson. Johns waiting list is around 4 months and J's is 12 months at the moment. Both on BB :)
Mike.

leon-1

I must admit I am a fan as well:), good to deal with, open to suggestions, but if he thinks that a suggestion may compromise the strength of the knife or its ability to do the job he will tell you. Prices are rather good as well.:)

Randy are they breeding:D.

Schwert said:
I will second the Gene Ingram recommendation.

Ingrams15493.jpg

His work is excellent, he is always on time, his prices are very good, and he is a nice fellow.

His website is:

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

See more of mine at JM's magazine.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=273

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE