Do you have a black bottom??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Pots live in a dedicated stuff sack. Chunks get cleaned/scraped off as and when. Inside is clean. Mors says it is more efficient with a black pot. A tight fitting lid probably has more effect on efficiency.

Inside of pot is always clean.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Sticking pot in rough sand in a stream and moving it around cleans the crud off.

Plus one for the sand and stream - Mr Bell (Scout leader) very keen on that back in the day & I keep up the habit with DofE groups and my own Scouts.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve never really bothered cleaning my cook wear, cant see the point, leave it black, it make no differance to an every day camper using a fire.......

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi Dave,
So black or shiny which is best???
Some people suggest putting water in your fuel to limit the amount of sooting on the pots... when using alcohol as fuel

I personally favor undiluted Fuel.....
Why?
Well, from a scientific view point water has a very high specific heat, higher than methylated spirits. or bio-ethanol What this means is that not only are the fuels less powerful per gram, but the fuel also needs to heat up and evaporate the water added to the fuel! This wastes precious energy which could be used to heat the food or water in the pan.
So for my money I'm a BLACK PACKER! Why?

I believe that being black makes it more "thermodynamically efficient"... (That means it boils faster) It’s basic Physics,,,,,
All objects absorb and emit electromagnetic radiation. The rate of heat transfer by radiation is largely determined by the colour of the object & Black is the most effective, and white the least.
32+ years of sooty build up...
Black and proud of it....

Some might argue the black patina insulates against heat transfer, the black coating is carbon which is the best conductor known, so it won't insulate the pots quite the opposite I'm sure.

The problem of soot getting in your kit?

The pot will go black sure but once a black sooty patina has formed a quick wipe with a wet cloth before you pack and carry removes the excess soot after each use and the what’s left is pretty hard to shift so the black doesn't transfer & won't mark anything.

More science :~

Heat transfer always occurs from a region of high temperature to another region of lower temperature. Heat transfer changes the internal energy of both systems involved according to the First Law of Thermodynamics.[1] The Second Law of Thermodynamics defines the concept of thermodynamic entropy, by measurable heat transfer.
Thermal equilibrium is reached when all involved bodies and the surroundings reach the same temperature. Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume in response to a change in temperature.[2] Heat Transfer

The rate of heat transfer by radiation is largely determined by the colour of the object. Black is the most effective, and white the least. People living in hot climates generally avoid wearing black clothing, for instance. Similarly, black asphalt in a parking lot will be hotter than the adjacent gray sidewalk on a summer day, because black absorbs better than gray. The reverse is also true—black radiates better than gray. Thus, on a clear summer night the asphalt will be colder than the gray sidewalk because black radiates energy more rapidly than gray.
An ideal radiator, often called a blackbody, is the same colour as an ideal absorber, and captures all the radiation that falls on it. In contrast, white is a poor absorber and also a poor radiator. A white object reflects all radiation, like a mirror. (A perfect, polished white surface is mirror-like in appearance, and a crushed mirror looks white.)
There is a clever relation between the temperature of an ideal radiator and the wavelength at which it emits the most radiation. It is called Wien's displacement law and is given by:
λmaxT=b
Where b is a constant equal to 2.9×10-3 m⋅K.

Alan

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Newtons law of cooling

"The rate of heat loss of a body is proportional to the temperature difference between the body and its surroundings."

But with pans it's more about the thermaresistance. The large heat differential between a 2000c flame and a 0c, will mean a great heat transfer.

Amy part that is exessively hot will resist heat,
Shiny parts will resist heat
Rough parts will resuist heat
Anodysed aluminium will resist heat.
A dark matt surface of good thick thermallu conductive material, will mean better heat transfer. The msr pots are probably better because they becone dark and matt.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Leave mine as is. But obviously keep it in a stuff sack. If I were to get sooty, or my gear was, Id rethink it, but that doesnt happen.

I just pick up loose beach gravel and clean it with that, if i can as i walk to the shore to rinse it. Let the heat kill any nasties

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE