do use ur cast iron dutch ovens at home

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a full complement of Le Creuset pots and pans I use at home but don't bother with cast iron much camping, one in a while maybe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, too blooming heavy. Fine, great in fact, on an open fire, but at home I use stainless steel on the hob. Much easier to clean and store in the kitchen drawers.

Actually, I tell a lie, I use a cast iron girdle to bake on the hob. (and before anyone comments on my vocabulary, I have an aluminium one too and it not only says Made in England, it says it's a cast girdle, so it's not even just a Scotticism :) )
The girdle doesn't cook anything liquidy though, just oatcakes, pancakes, scones, potato cakes, bannocks, tortillas, chapattis and nans....basic bread things. It's never put away, just wiped and left in situ.

cheers,
Toddy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a iron griddle a lot at home and we occasionally use the large Dutch oven to cook a chicken if its decent weather for a cookout

I use orange le cruset (must be orange, any thing else is just a wrongen) and cast iron skillets from Nisbets as well as an un-enameld cast iron pan for long cooking stews and casseroles on top of the heating stove in the front room in winter. would not be without them. the iron gets hot and evens out the (very) dodgy electric supply, it drops terribly between 4 and 7 each night since new houses were built in the village a couple of miles away (as an aside, why do people move to the country then cover their house with arc lamps that burn all night? If your afraid of the dark stay in town :( it does nothing to stop the burglers and creates shadow wells that you cant see past) sigh!!

Any way, yes I love my pots and use them lots.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used my Gsi alu dutchie to cook up a large portion of Beef Bourguignon for a murder mystery party at our house recently,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't understand what "do use ur" means? What language is that written in?

Its 'Text Speak' Red, all too common these days sadly, I ask my young son to translate for me. Within a couple of decades communication will be back at the grunting and pointing stage.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Rik - it was a genuine question. I suspected the OP had omitted "you" from "Do you use", but I am still confused what "ur" means. Is it punctuation or something?

"Do you use cast iron dutch ovens at home" I understand but I don't understand "ur" at all??

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Showing my age I still lament when "catsup" changed to "ketchup."

But more to the thread: No, I don't use my "dutch oven" at home much; The legs get in the way indoors. I do use a heavy cast iron pot very, very much (it's a no name brand that I got while statione in England) There's nothing better for stews, chilis, small roasts and such. Great for baked beans too. The lid is flat and when inverted makes a great griddle, pizza pan and bisquit pan (American bisquits). I've also got a set of CI skillets (mostly Lodge) for most of my frying, stir frying, casserole dishes and gravy or sauce making chores and cornbread baking. In fact now that I think of it probably more than 75% of my home cookimg is on CI. Just not the dutch oven.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Much the same as that. The "legged" ones no, but my skillets yes, my lidded legless pans yes.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Showing my age I still lament when "catsup" changed to "ketchup."

I think it's always been ketchup this side of the pond, and probably comes from an Indian (asian continent Indian) word from the days of the Raj.

Anyway, back on topic. I use a cast iron frying pan whenever I'm frying, and I use a cast iron casserole which I bought from TK Maxx - why did I only buy one, like it's ever going to wear out - for soups, stews etc. I don't have a dutch oven though.

Cheers

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Sorry if my grammar and English isn't perfect but I wrote this half asleep and didn't read it back
Also thanks for the reply guys the reason I asked was I would use them myself but mum and dad
won't let me cos it stinks the house out supposedly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE