Do something, do nothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just wondering. When you are outside purely for the pleasure of it, especially if you are on your own, are you always having to do something (whittle a stick, make a shelter, start a fire), or are you a 'drift along and enjoy the ambience' person?

Or does it depend?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hmm a bit of both I think, depending on what reason I'm outside, if for a walk then once stopped, Sheltered, watered and fed i mostly just read a book, check my kit over ready for the next day and just rest, but if in just one place then i will be more active whittling, looking at things and trying to make stuff, oh and larking about, nothing lifts the spirits then a good lark about! KALOOO! KALAAAY!

I have to say do something. Having small children and a partner with habit for 'to do' lists I find myself with so little time to myself that I tend to want to get creative when the opportunity arises. Be it carving, foraging or focussing on the wildlife that is about me.

When I surf, then I drift and enjoy.

Leo

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
On my own I chillax. I keep as still as possible. If I'm moving I move as slow and as quiet as possible, always on the lookout or listening for life.

With the kids I have to do something or they'll get bored pretty quick. I get them to help with a brew, practice knifework, build a den etc. That being said, if we are somewhere where theres a good chance of spotting something they are getting good at moving through the woods in stealth mode.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
For me, even sitting still and watching the scenery is a worthwhile activity.

To the outside world, it looks just like I'm chillaxin' but there's always something that needs to be studied closer!

ATB

Ogri the trog

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i think that for me personally it depends on whether i'm on my own or in a group. on my own i tend to be pretty much occupied, exploring the area, practicing a bit of tracking, making "camp gadgets" etc. when i'm in a group i'm much more likely to be found just sitting by the fire with a coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other relaxing and chatting.

stuart

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Depends,

I like to take my time watching and listening,or daydreaming.

Other times I'll sit and whittle over a brew.

My main thing is birding and wildlife though.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Once I'm set up, fire going, wood gathered I like others just like to sit and take in the surroundings. I go out to relax so I tend to move about as little as possible when with others there is the banter round the fire, when alone I like to watch what is going on around me ie the wildlife etc. I'm happy to sit round the fire whittling away with a brew.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i love the quiet,..

so after a poo week just laying and listening is cool....

but the time alone is also good time to get a skill cracked,...

i,m focusing on a slow burn, cooking fire at the moment,..so being selective during wood collection takes up a lot of daylight,...

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
i eat and sleep and maybe wright my thoughts down or just plain relax...my lifes a blurr in this world, the outdoors is my own world to relax..vince g. 11B Inf..

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Changes as time goes on.

First afternoon - got to be doing something. First night - got to be doing something.

First morning - slow start.

And then more and more chilled from there.

My assumption is that if I went for more than a fortnight I'd end up in some sort of coma.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ive just been up the woods for the last two hours , just sitting and trying not to move too much. I find Forests relax me , a kind of medicine for every day modern life.

One a tracking course I attended the Instructor made us all do an exercise every morning upon waking and every evening and during the course of the day aswell , the exercise was just to find a spot clear of other students looking out into the bush ( but also not really looking...very Jedi mind Zen ) and to just be still and observe the environment without really trying.
Zoning in , Its good and it works , everyone should do it I think , it definitely changes the pace and intent you move through the brush.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Ive just been up the woods for the last two hours , just sitting and trying not to move too much. I find Forests relax me , a kind of medicine for every day modern life.

One a tracking course I attended the Instructor made us all do an exercise every morning upon waking and every evening and during the course of the day aswell , the exercise was just to find a spot clear of other students looking out into the bush ( but also not really looking...very Jedi mind Zen ) and to just be still and observe the environment without really trying.
Zoning in , Its good and it works , everyone should do it I think , it definitely changes the pace and intent you move through the brush.

i do this just as it starts to get dark,..my fave time in the woods,...

its like a crossover of the shift,..lol

the woodies want to roost and most other stuff sense the temperature drop and start to quieten,....

but the flip side, the owls start to call, and the bats take off,..

i sit and stare out from camp,..i cant normally see more than 20 yard in the woods i use but its amazing what you "see"

so even the folks who say they do nothing,..youre doing a hundred times more than the people sat at home..

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE