Do I NEED a small forest sized axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have a GBSFA but don't like it. It is too big and too small at the same time, the head is not profiled for splitting (which is mostly what I want it for) and I find it a bit too big for carving. I have switched to a Husquvarna hatchet as my portable axe tool as it has a fatter head and splits better than either the GBSFA or the GBWH, as well as being less than half the price of the GB Wildlife Hatchet. The Husky and a Laplander enable me to prepare all the firewood I need.

A while ago I felled an Ash tree with a GB Scandinavian Forest axe and it felt superb - far more up to the job than the Small Forest Axe. For serious splitting, the GB splitting axes are also superb. In fact the Small Forest Axe is the one axe of theirs I never use!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - I love my SFA and have tried and rejected lots of others - I just find it the ultimate "jack of all trades" - OK it is master of none as well but I have found it just right for the combination of stuff I need an axe for...a little light felling, a bit of splitting, some chopping of small wood, a bit of carving etc etc...
It is the only axe I use :)

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
depends on what sort of vehicle you have! if you go by foot,the lightest=the best! if you have to walk around camp,too! then if you got plenty of room and vehicle on a camp bring whatever you please!
my stuff:
fixed camp+vehicle=hatchet ,full sized axe,and frame saw,a folding one and somme knives.
fixed camp no vehicle= big hatchetor small axe( 50 to 62cm)[19,6to24in] and same as above.
spining around= hatchet,knives + folding saw.

and in my kit nothing is trendy and brandy,everything is second hand (flee market,car boot sales),elbow grease and self satifaction for working (well )tools!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE