Do I need a bivi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Hi all, I'm going on a 3 day trip to Dartmoor this weekend and as I'm not sure exactly where we'll be I might not be able to use my usual hammock/tarp setup. So it's ground dwelling for me! I have a 3x1.5 tarp Unsponsored made, and was planning on using it with just a roll mat and sleeping bag, the question is...as it's fairly open, will it be a good idea to also use a bivi bag?
02181241-4fb6-e81d.jpg

A

andyBruce

Yep, a bivi bag is the sensible way to go, especially with the fickle Dartmoor weather!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A groundsheet which you can fold over you would probably do all you need, maybe weight it down with your pack or something to stop it blowing off. But a bivvy bag would definitely be better. You want something which breathes.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you've got a TKMax near you they sometimes have the TrekMates ones in, they're not very big but should keep you dry

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have no need of another bivvy bag but I think I might get one from Kev anyway, for making me laugh so much.

Slow roast gas mark 4 / 2 hours had me in stitches.

:rofl:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well Mr Webster , i can see the change from swinging is worrying you slightly , and as others have said a bivvy would be a very good idea especially as i have just see the latest forecast for our trip !!
Anyway we will laugh as much as always see you Sunday pal ...

Ivan...

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
You have to remember that condensation and wetness doesn't just come from your breath or rain. If you create a small eco system with a tarp or tent, everything underneath it reacts to the difference in temperature. In your case, the soil as well.

The soil has loads of moisture in it. A good way of explaining it, is looking at mist in the morning as the ground heats up from the sun from a cloudless night.

I'd say you won't regret getting a bivy invovled. It not only protects your sleeping bag from outside moisture, it also acts as a wind barrier.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
You're better safe knowing you'll be okay than sitting wet and cold at 3am wishing you had bought a bivi mate, doesn't cost much but you would give a years wages for it if you try to sleep cold and wet.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Well Mr Webster , i can see the change from swinging is worrying you slightly , and as others have said a bivvy would be a very good idea especially as i have just see the latest forecast for our trip !!
Anyway we will laugh as much as always see you Sunday pal ...

Ivan...

Yea, the definite lack of trees is troubling me...took along time to get my hammock setup right and haven't really thought much about ground dwelling. Might just have to take loads of alcohol and get smashed and pass out, won't care if I'm cold and wet then!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A bivi will give you peace of mind, but you don't really need it. We used to make do without them, fitting 2 people in feather sleeping bags under a single 58 patt poncho. With the large tarp you have got, you shouldn't have any troubles- just don't be tempted to use a groundsheet which can channel water in under your tarp- seemingly the most common method of getting a soaked sleeping bag.

That said, these days i always use a bivvi bag, but unless i haven't been using a tarp at all, i have never actually needed it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE