Do i cut it or dry it first

keithhazel

Jan 20, 2016
United Kingdom
yer i'm pretty sure it is as when i bought it he told me to give it a spray over once a month with some fine oil, cant remember what sort but everyday furniture type..but i didn't and its been sat in my lounge for 6 years...i feel a bit sick when i look and see the crack as the whole thing is just EPIC no other words for it...
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

at the end of the day......its night

keithhazel

Jan 20, 2016
United Kingdom
oh thanks i'm gonna be on edge every time i go near my drying pile the next year...someone said cover with Tarpaulin..do i keep it very loose but airtight or open so things might go meddling in it ?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The furniture shop down my street has a building which might have been horse stalls in a past life.
Each stall, aka bin, has the year of harvest and the year when it "should" be air-drid well enough for use.
They harvest 3-5 cords each spring (4' x 4' x 8' pile of sticks.) 4-5" diameters down to 1" and less for chair slats.

Harvest time is usually late May/early June, here in the mountains. Then one year we had a terribly hot June.
Cooked = split every last stick they harvested, end-to-end. Really expensive firewood.

Might have been me = fling a tarp over the your pile and weight it down with some bricks.

You need to figure out and keep track of which tree species you have.
Different drying methods might work better for different species.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As a reverse thing to your cracking, a mate of mine was in Texas on business and stopped off in a music store for a looksee. They had a really expensive acoustic guitar going stupidly cheap due to cracks in the veneer on the fretboard. Being a canny Scot he bought it and within a week of his return to Scotland the cracks had gone and the guitar sounded sweet as a nut. So it can go both ways.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You want to see wood move?
Find 5 ordinary wooden toothpicks.
Partly break each one at the mid point.
Lay them down in a circle with all of the breaks together in the middle.. . . like the spokes of a wheel.
Now, carefully add a few drops of water the area of the breaks.

keithhazel

Jan 20, 2016
United Kingdom
yer me mam said."what sort of tree is it you can tell by the leaves"....except its a 30 foot high 6 foot thick stump left standing and these 20 or so branch's left on the floor after they chopped them off for safety...not a leaf to be seen...so yes thanks about Tarp..but species..its Wood !!
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

at the end of the day....its night

keithhazel

Jan 20, 2016
United Kingdom
As much as i really love what is a masterpiece of elephant carving its about 2 stone in weight and 3-4 foot high and i'm not carrying that to Scotland on the bus no way....:p

at the end of the day.............its night

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE