Do dogs need coats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Need a bit of advice.

I'm going to the Grampian Mountains in a weeks time for a week. I intend doing lots of walking whatever the weather with our 7 month old springer spanial, Daisy.

The question is "does she need a coat?".

Beause I just haven't got a clue.

Thanks

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I've only ever seen my dog get cold at night when we had stopped. We chucked a blanket over her and she was quite happy. I suppose it depends how used to cold and being outside your dog is though.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Badger 74,

I've always felt that dogs should run about as nature intended until last year when a friend bought his Jack Russell to do some mountain walking in North Wales (it was the same extremely wet and windy weekend that the KIMM got called off and everyone had to be rescued). His dog just couldn't seem to get warm in that foul weather as we kept stopping to practice bearings and such and I thought then how much a little coat would've made things easier for her. Left to her own devices I'm sure she would have kept on the move until finding some sort of shelter (that's probably natures answer). On the Sunday before setting off in the morning, he found her a fleece lined waterproof jacket thing from a local climbing shop. It was almost like a rigid cape with a half hood that buckled up underneath her. It also had elastic fixings to hold a cyalume light stick and reflective panels. She was a lot happier after that as the cold rain wasn't pounding at her back. Some dogs are better designed to cope with mountain conditions with thicker, more oily coats but in the Jack Russell's case I would say the coat was a great idea.

I think I would draw the line at the little musketeers outfit though..

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
she should be ok but she is only young.

might be worth having something on standby. - my springer used to be ok with the cold until he lost a leg - now he suffers quite a bit when he gets cold and wet.

best of luck
andy

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Hi,

Yea, they usually need something when stationary - my doberman has two speeds, asleep and leg-it, and she feels the cold when she (eventually) stops, but she's fine when on the move.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Dri Bag

Somat like this might be a good idea for such a young dog.

When a dogs moving about a coat isn't needed and can be a nuisance. It's when they are still that they begin to suffer if they're wet and cold.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
They might be necessary, but whenever I see a dog in a coat ( or one of those doggy lifejackets ) I always think that they seem slightly embarrassed, with a "move along now, nothing to see here" look on their face.

Bushcraft dogs in disguise as other animals anyone?

ATT00001.jpg

ATT00008.jpg

ATT00010.jpg

More crimes against nature here...

http://www.pinkcoyote.net/creativegrooming.html

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Remember that if you do get a coat for your dog (personally I probably wouldn't) you need to watch when to take it off as much as when to put it on. A dog running up hill won't need a coat just like you would open your coat climbing up hill. Dogs are pretty good at regulating their body temperature (particularly larger breads), so dont just stick the coat ion and leave it all day. Take your cue from the dog, they will tell you if they are cold or hot.

76bts

I have a short-haired pointer and from experience if he gets very wet he starts shivering after sometime out walking, he hates coats but I put one on him when its snowing or heavy rain and we are going to be out for more than a couple of hours. Thing is if you are camping and its wet the dog might not be able to get warmed up again when resting and thats not good or fun for them. My theory is short walks then no coat, long walks + short hair + bad weather then coat (or bring a towel). If you do get a coat take the dog into the pet store and try some on to see what he can walk comfortably in.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I believe it is completely dependent on the breed...
I have always had gun dogs (which obv a springer is) and they seem perfectly happy whatever the weather...
Infact my flat coat would rather be in n out of the water and wet all day as then she would not get too hot.
What sort of length is your springers coat? (the natural one tht she was born with...)

As long as she is constantly moving i would of thought she'd be fine, if u are intending on camping then a fleece / blanket for her to sleep on and to pull over her like a bed would keep her comfy enough.
It's really short haired dogs that needs coats, gundog breeds have been bred to be outside no matter what the weather...

To respond to Cumbrian, my dog is water obsessed, she is always in the sea and rivers any chance she gets but if we are on our yacht and off shore she always has a lifejacket on... if she went over board in a wave I doubt she would be able to keep 'doggy paddling' offshore for too long through the swells and rolling waves. So i just wont risk it, she may look a bit silly to ppl but if it keeps her alive its worth it.

Badger one thing i would say is 7 months is still quite young and at that age you should still restrict the amount of exercise your springer has. Non-stop exercise all day could damage her hips as they are still forming...

Have fun though

J

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for all the advice.

Jay, she's out for about 2 hours a day in total at the moment and her hair is about an inch long. When she's active she's ok but stood still her legs star trembling. I don't plan on walking for full days, just a couple of miles into the forest, scratch round for a bit and mooch back while the family are in the warm!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just for when you stop if it's only a few hours.

Dry her off if wet then cover her and feed.

If she's cold she'll be shivering,just like us.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I live in the Grampian Mountains and the answer is YES. Get the dog a coat. I have a Cairn Terrier and she can get really cold at this time of year. She also loves a sigg bottle full of warm water in a sock at night when I'm camping with her!

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I live in the Grampian Mountains and the answer is YES. Get the dog a coat. I have a Cairn Terrier and she can get really cold at this time of year. She also loves a sigg bottle full of warm water in a sock at night when I'm camping with her!

ROFLMAO your cairn sounds just like my parson russell.

She tends to suffer from the cold when out in the wet or if she's not moving about for a while when out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE