DIY Woodburner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
A further thought for what its worth! If you could use relatively light rods just to fix the top and bottom together (ie don't extend them to double up as legs), you could mount much sturdier legs on the sides with through-bolts, as Titanium goat do with their box stoves. I can't help feel that this is a bit of a design weakness with both the Kifaru and SO stoves. The last thing you want is the stove toppling over in your laavu with 4 litres of stew on the top because the legs gave way!

Agreed. Ive just disassembled my Seekoutside Stove after its first burn and notice three of the legs had bowed by over an inch. too much heat for the narrow guage ti rods

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
All food for thought Andy! Thanks for the link. Is that the magic steel I'm after that rolls down to nothing then back on itself? If so I'll be getting some asap. If it is the stuff I want you reckon the stainless is the way forward?

The legs on this are just M6 allthread so 6mm I guess.

It is a 3" hole for the flue and yes the draw holes should be nearer the bottom as opposed to the top of the door. That will be a definate change on MKII, it's a boring story on how they ended up where they did...

Yes, this is the magic steel that rolls back on itself - works a treat too. And, yes, I'd go for the stainless rather than Ti - minimal weight saving at 1/3 the price. I know Cliff looked at all sorts of sources in the UK to get a piece of pipe, and the TiGoat prices were by far the best.

With a three inch hole, then for the price I'd be seriously tempted to go for the TiGoat damper and spark arrestor - they look pretty good value for what they are.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Agreed. Ive just disassembled my Seekoutside Stove after its first burn and notice three of the legs had bowed by over an inch. too much heat for the narrow guage ti rods

I'll be writing to Seekoutside and looking for a response on that - mine bowed too.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Edit for size update

In old school it's 12 3/16" long, 9" wide and 8" high minus the legs. That's roughly 31cm long, 23cm wide and 20 cm high...

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
So did you use a machine press to get those folds so fabulous or is the steel upcycled from an existing formed box? It looks absolutely excellent, can't wait for a sneaky peak at the operating model!

A freind made a rocket stove out of 2 cheap wheelbarrows welded together on the subject of firey things.... completely impractical but gosh, it kicks out some kilojoules!
14924_4752547046052_99765255_n.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The following pics should have been put up earlier, it's a close up of the side panels;

2013-01-22135359.jpg

2013-01-22135411.jpg

This allows them to slot into the front and back panel whilst sitting in the bottom making it very stable when the top is added and threaded down with the legs.

A press brake was used for the clean bends Sal and that's one helluva burner there!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
It's far from my design, I just thank the clever people for making things I can copy.

John, I'm up for going in on the steel from the States depending on what it works out at through that link you provided. Haven't had a chance to ring yet. When I was looking last week small amounts were big prices, the States should be cheaper unless your link is a bit more realistic...

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
In all honesty I think it better to buy from the US that way we could
Get titanium instead of stainless.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Damn, looks a lot smoother than my version I've made. I'm using M10/10mm threaded bar for the holding together and the legs. I got my shim steel for the flue from Cromwells. I got mild for the cost and to see if it worked, but they do do stainless.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Damn, looks a lot smoother than my version I've made. I'm using M10/10mm threaded bar for the holding together and the legs. I got my shim steel for the flue from Cromwells. I got mild for the cost and to see if it worked, but they do do stainless.

I get O1 from Cromwells, I had no idea they did good portions of shim steel. What length and width did you get and how much was it if you don't mind me asking? How many burns have you put through it and how is it holding up?

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I plan on making one out of stainless with bold on legs as per tigoat and a stainless flue made from vacuum cleaner pipes.
Also going to use a vent cover as the airflow adjuster
Vent.JPG
This thread is really inspiring!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
So did you use a machine press to get those folds so fabulous or is the steel upcycled from an existing formed box? It looks absolutely excellent, can't wait for a sneaky peak at the operating model!

A freind made a rocket stove out of 2 cheap wheelbarrows welded together on the subject of firey things.... completely impractical but gosh, it kicks out some kilojoules!
14924_4752547046052_99765255_n.jpg

What a great idea - fill it with stuff to take to the meet and wheel it in - use it to keep the place warm and to cook on, then load it up again on the way out:)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's the plan Bodge. Will need to get a stove jack after I get the flue sorted. Funny how building your own is never cheap!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Right Sasq,

The shim I used was from Cromwells; mild steel 12" x 120" x 0.005 gauge (0.127mm).The shim had been rolled in the chimney shape for 12 months in a damp shed.

27012013958.jpg

I removed the jubilee clips and started rolling up length wise. It went very well and quickly. A small amount of messing was needed but it did not fully retain the shape of the chimney.

27012013959.jpg

It does roll thinner than this, it is now stored in a SMA milk tin baffle.

I hope thats helpfull.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE