DIY Woodburner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Excellent work. Could a ( collapsible/drop-down) baffle plate be built in to the lid? Baffle plate helps the heat to circulate in the firebox, burning off more gas produced, instead of those gases going/being driven straight up the chimney by the heat. A baffle plate also makes the heat rise to the front top (up over the baffle plate) and back along (underneath) the top plate to the chimney. Increasing heat on the top plate, thus better for direct contact cooking on top of the stove.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yup, you're right. For now the damper works for me,a small turn gets the stove red hot in no time if I want a brew. Haven't cooked on it yet though. Won't have it at north woods Martin but I'll have it at the next white Rose meet

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
may I suggest a few air holes? After all, A fire needs air. A few 10mm holes 20-30mm up along the sides should suffice, say, about 6-8 of them just on the sides. After a few minutes of running science will take over. As the hot air rises through the flue it will draw cold clean air in via these holes. this will allow a cleaner hotter burn with far less smoke.
Oh and maybe a simple lattice for the inner base to raise the fire off the floor of the burner. it'd allow ash to fall away from the firewood and keeps the base of the burner cooler. Something like pic below maybe but with 2 front -back and 3-4 left-right? As I say, it's just a thought. Oh, and hypothetically speaking,,,, how much would one of these cost people if they wanted to buy one from you? I ask because,,,,because a friend(?),,,yeah,,, a friend wants to know how much it would cost me for one. I meant cost HIM, honest. :D
drawer-dividers-gdd0500.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I have to say i'm happy with where it is without adding anything right now. The ah burned to nothing, it got hot fast and stayed there and still folds down compact. All great ideas here to keep in mind for future projects, thanks guys. With this one i'm keeping it simple. No mess, no fuss, just pure impact. Yarr!

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Tigoat John. I read about people not getting on with them but found if you pull it as you turn it stays put. Mine does anyway, not sure about other ones.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Tis brilliant to see it all fired up, Chad! MUCH warmness :) Secretly gutted it's not making a premier at NW, make sure you get pics of it at White Rose so I can admire it some more :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'll have Joseph with me so I don't want to bring extra kit that won't be used. I'm a lazy lazy man. I can bring it if people want to see it though so let me know if I should.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE