DIY Weather Forecasting /Traditional weather signs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I was wonderiing if anyone has any successful methods of predicting/ recording the weather and also know of any old reliable folklore signs.

Michael Fish please don,t reply.

Phil

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Easy.
Stick your head out of the window and have a look.
Truth is, weather forecasting and predicting is not as carved in stone as we think it is. The only way to know what it's doing is to look. The best we can do is predict the weather a few hours in advance.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
“When the dew is on the grass,
Rain will never come to pass.
When grass is dry at morning light,
Look for rain before the night.”

“When clouds look like black smoke,
A wise man will put on his cloak.”

“Evening red and morning gray
Helps the traveler on his way.
Evening gray and morning red
Brings down rain upon his head.”

“Onion skins very thin
Mild winter coming in;
Onion skins thick and tough
Coming winter cold and rough."

“When oak is out before the ash,
‘Twill be a summer of wet and splash.
But if the ash before the oak,
‘Twill be a summer of fire and smoke."

“When sheep gather in a huddle,
tomorrow we will have a puddle.”

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
There used to be weather link on BCUK which I miss actually
durulz is right; that and if possible read watch or listen to a forecast
Observation of the conditions clouds wind direction etc all help
As in the poem when animals huddle and head for high ground it can mean a storm is coming
What about an old fashioned barometer?
Be interested to see what others think as I have an interest-as do most British folk

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
The Weather Forecast Stone works great!
1230-weather-forecast-stone.jpg

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
"Mackerel sky, mackerel sky, never long wet, never long dry".

"Red sky at night, Shepherds delight,
Red sky in the morning, Shepherd warning,
Red sky in the afternoon, sheep on fire". :)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I like my grandfather before me feels the weather...

Not sure what it is but I kinda sense when it's going to rain they say its as simple as being tuned into the pressure change before weather changes im not sure. But if it is the case then just keep an eye on the pressure meter it should give you a good indication better than any weather man ;)

Simon

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I like my grandfather before me feels the weather...

Not sure what it is but I kinda sense when it's going to rain they say its as simple as being tuned into the pressure change before weather changes im not sure. But if it is the case then just keep an eye on the pressure meter it should give you a good indication better than any weather man ;)

Simon

I get a headache when the barometric (sp?) pressure changes as well. Either that or a hangover or dehydration!

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
There is a simple trick to successful forecasting:

If you say: "The weather tomorrow will be about like it is now." You will be right about 60% of the time. Usually the weather changes rather slowly, that is why you get 60% right.

However that is easy to improve on. Since the 40% errors can be divided into "...or better" or "...or worse" you can easily improve those 60% to 80% by saying either:

"The weather tomorrow will be about like it is now, or perhaps better!"

or:

"The weather tomorrow will be about like it is now, or perhaps worse!"

Your choice is free, you will still get it right 80% of the time. If you are talking to a dear friend say it might get better tomorrow. If you are talking to someone you don't like, feel free to say the weather may be worse tomorrow.

If you still want to improve on this, just check the forecast by some professional metereologist to improve the choice between "better" or "worse". Then you may be right about 90-95% of the time.

/A

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
just get a book about cloud types if you learn them you'll learn weather patterns too. barometer helps too but not one that says 'dry' or 'rain' just with the pressure on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE