DIY Ventile Garments Feedback?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hello!
Any folks here make their own Ventile jackets/smocks? How did it turn out? Can you sew the Ventile with nylon thread or the sewing thread has to be of Ventile material as well so that if the garment gets wet the Ventile thread will swell too to keep out the rain?
Monk

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
If you do obtain Ventile and cannot sew, how do you locate someone who is a good hand at sewing? Any suggestions or guidelines on locating a reputable seamstress?
Monk

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
See the 'Ray Mears Shirt' thread in the kit chatter forum - there's a load of stuff in there on this very subject. Not sure about the thread issue.

Seamstresses - either Yellowpages (usually more expensive) or ask around at work - someone is bound to have a wife/relative who can sew with a machine.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can you sew the Ventile with nylon thread or the sewing thread has to be of Ventile material as well so that if the garment gets wet the Ventile thread will swell too to keep out the rain?
One think I hve noticed on alot of ventile clothing is the stitching has quite a low tension to allow the fabric to expand and become waterproof when wet. I'm not sure what thread is used... I would guess a strong polyester thread would do, but email point north.... they are very helpful and can answer all your questions.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE