DIY Slingshot Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi i am going to make my own slingshot from a piece of wood carved to shape and some bands made from thera band gold but i have a few questions for anyone who has done this before:

1. is there any particular wood that is best for this?

2. does anyone know where i can buy around 1m of thera band gold instead of having to buy a full 5.5m roll?

3. does anyone have any tips on the best method of attaching the bands to the fork?

4. any tips on what to make the pouch out of and a cheap place to get the materials from?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Peter

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
looks like they have changed the cut of their bands but Bells of Hythe sell the stuff....I got some from them last year.

but I'm sure a few makers on here sell the stuff too....can't think of the names (Fishhunter?) but just put Theraband in the search engine and i'm sure you'll find contacts

Mojo

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
1. is there any particular wood that is best for this?
Any good trong wood should be fine. I'd steer clear of light stuff like elder

2. does anyone know where i can buy around 1m of thera band gold instead of having to buy a full 5.5m roll?
Try dropping Fish an email he might do you a special deal

3. does anyone have any tips on the best method of attaching the bands to the fork?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2pyJSIUHY

4. any tips on what to make the pouch out of and a cheap place to get the materials from?
Charity shops.... have a look at some cheapo leather shoes or boots and make them from the tongues

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
No problem - hope you find some good stuff on there.

It took me a long time to get proficient with a catty - and its a perishable skill! If you're new to cattys don't go for the most powerful bands straight off - go for something with less power until you get accurate/confident then up the power.
You can hunt successfully with a medium power catty as long as you use suitable ammo ie lead or dense steel. Medium power is easier to be accurate with and easier to shoot.

If you really want to get into the engineering/physics of cattys have a look at this book :
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19879/Bolts/Nuts/M10-Hex-Nut - its fascinating stuff!

As mentioned in the other current catty threads I personally find that Theraband gold flat does not have a long life. Theraband tubes are ok, but flat latex is best (IMO). You can get ready made flat bands from Bill Herriman in Texas at sensible cost - see the link on the site in my last post. No affiliation etc - just v satisfied wit the product.
Square rubber is used very successfully by a lot of folk over here, see Bells of Hythe for more info.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE