DIY Oilskin Poncho Tarp?

Nov 29, 2013
Canada
Hey, everyone. This is going to be my first post here at BCUK. I've been into woodcraft and wilderness living for a few years now, and I want to start getting more serious about traditional materials and gear. We've all used the synthetics before in bushcraft. Though it is lightweight, quick to dry, it is not typically forgiving around fire, nor is it very tough. Obviously, fire is a very large part of bushcrafting; I'm sure you can see the issue here. A few minutes ago I was on YouTube and an idea popped into my head for a way I could carry effective rain gear, shelter, and have them both be safely used around a fire. A SilNy poncho and tarp work fine as a lightweight solution, but my idea is to make an 8x8 or 7x7 (I'm almost 6 feet tall) oilskin poncho tarp. Emergency rain gear and fire-resistant shelter all in one. I've seen oilskin ponchos on the internet but I haven't seen many with hoods, and I haven't seen any with tie-outs. Does anybody know anything about making oilskin or if this is even a feasible option? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Boiled linseed oil , You can melt and add bees wax if you want it thicker.
Pure linseed oil will take weeks to dry.

Best.

Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE