DIY Kit storage system for hammock camps (keep your kit tidy, dry and in one place)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul standley

Aug 9, 2010
south wales
Here's my idea on how to stow kit when hammock or bivi camping so that your camp area doesn't look like your rucksack just exploded...

The system uses the same tree(s) that your hammock is slung between and doesn't need any branches.

It makes it easy to find any of your bits and bobs and has a built in rain cover to keep all of your kit dry.

It's adaptable so can be made to suit your needs.

Quick tips...
pre-stretch the guy cord before making one as it it's likely to have a good bit of stretch in it to begin with. I used guy cord to keep the bulk down to a minimum put 550 paracord would work very well also.

Use a wheelie bin liner (a tall garbage bin on wheels in the UK...!) because they are generally much longer than normal bin liners and you want the length to maximise cover.

Paul.

[video=youtube;ydyUCrgBehM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyUCrgBehM[/video]

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great idea Paul and as monkey spanner has mentioned my first thoughts were that would be easy enough to create in the 'field' with just a length of paracord (and a couple of sticks) but I like the way you have thought it all through.... I like the bag and waterproof cover idea too! goodjob

I'll be having a play with this idea myself

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Of course Aaron - think once, type once, read twice (and then possibly retype ) THEN hit POST

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Interesting and well thought out but I will stick with under slung net when hammock camping
I suppose its one of those things though if you use it and refine it to your needs it becomes a personally user friendly system
I like the bin liner in a small bag idea very much if I ever forgot my net hammock or even just on a day bimble with a base camp I could knock something like that up out of kit I would have with me
I like it when people come up with novel ways of doing stuff as you can modify and adapt them to suit yourself maybe even in different situations

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE