Diy hammock

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok I have an abundance of parachute nylon. Anyone made a hammock before?

Also what else could I make?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cool. Would they be ok for overnighting?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've made a few hammocks from the stuff and sewed the ends on a machine. Also made numerous stuff bags and tarps.
The material can be proofed with Fabsil and a silicon/ white spirits mix for the ridge and is totally waterproof.
Also made some nice bushy chairs too.

I've made stuff bags for all sorts and now making bags for various tents and tarps as the material is leighter.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am very interested in how you proofed it!! As a tarp would be awesome!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
In a past life, ahem, we used to make parachute hammocks very simply - take about 3 of the tapered panels, tie an overhand knot in them at the narrow end and attach a cord; at the other end tie a knot in each corner, attach cords (or use the rigging if it's still there) and the job's done!

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I am very interested in how you proofed it!! As a tarp would be awesome!

I used Fabsil to do mine and applied it with a large sponge. I supported the tarp with some 6'x2' board and collected any Fabsil that ran off in a bucket so as not to waste any.
I did a test before on some material to make sure it would work HERE.

To seal the seams, I mixed about a third of a tube of silicon with a liter or white spirit and mixed it up well in a bucket. To ensure a good mix I put a peice of metal about 12 inches long into my cordless drill and attached a cable tie to the end leaving a long tail and simply wizzed it up for a while.
Paint over the internal ridge line and any other attachment points or sewing I did.

Works well.
The hammock can take my weight and a lot more too. I did sew a channel into both ends to use whoopie slings and I'm quite happy with the results.
I'll try and dig out some images this weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE