DIY hammock UQ and now TQ

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Very nice work indeed. goodjob

What's the weight like and how well does it compress down for packing?

20130224_165430_zpsc83a60c8.jpg

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That's pretty impressive. Nice straight baffles - I've been having a go at one but my baffles are all over the place:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers mate. I used selotape to hold them in place as I didn't want to have pin holes all over the down proof pertex.

Pins are no problem through uncoated Pertex. Nice fine needles are the ones to use (Dressmakers pins made from reject needles) , the weave will close back up again perfectly. Personally, I find I don't need to hold the baffles in place. I draw lines with chalk or dissapearing ink and sew the baffles straight down those.

Sellotape and glue can cause problems though if you sew through it, it gets into the mechanisms and gums them up after a while. :)

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Making my own underquilt, is project I have been toying with for a while and looking at your cracking effort, certainly inspires me to pull my finger out.

I am really impressed with how 'professional' the finished article looks, great craftsmanship on your part fella :D

It is encouraging to see how small it compresses down to. My back is still strong enough to deal with a bit of extra weight in my pack, but my pack is not a fan of too much bulky kit and your effort does not look too bulky at all, so fair play to you goodjob

Now, if you had only made it in red, it would be perfect :naughty:

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Fantastic job, really neat finish and packed away nicely to, I to have been playing with a sewing machine I have (singer 99K), I have been sewing stuff out of sofa leather, For those people who have never sewn before it takes some practice at getting the slightest things right, welchyd1 you have done a great job here well done!!
:You_Rock_
Cheers
Bill

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
Your quilt looks great.

I'm thinking of taking the big step of trying to make a down quilt - one item that looks promising is to use a down eductor to fill the baffles since I think it will be much less messy than any other approach I can think of.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Your quilt looks great.

I'm thinking of taking the big step of trying to make a down quilt - one item that looks promising is to use a down eductor to fill the baffles since I think it will be much less messy than any other approach I can think of.

That would be perfect but the first obstacle would be to get the down, from the bag it arrives in the post in, and transfer it to a container sitting on the scales, without makings mess.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Cheers guys. I messed up a bit I should have put the channel on before I closed it up at the bottom I'll have to make a channel and add it to the bottom at some point. Not sure whether to use some left over pertex or a bit of mozzy net.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE