DIY hammock UQ and now TQ

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
NICE

You should start knocking these out mate, great workmanship there

Dave

I had thought about it but it was quite time consuming. The only reason I completed these two relatively quickly was because I am off work. I might make one more set after I've tried these out and can verify their performance.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
The Mrs approves.

DSC_0009_zps104ba0db.jpg

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Again great work fella.

Out of interest, how heavy are the TQ & UQ and how small do they pack down to?

See post 21 for a pic of the UQ and it weighs 980g in its sack, the top quilt compresses smaller for some reason bit weighs 1000g. I know they are pretty heavy but I can handle that kind of weight for the comfort.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
See post 21 for a pic of the UQ and it weighs 980g in its sack, the top quilt compresses smaller for some reason bit weighs 1000g. I know they are pretty heavy but I can handle that kind of weight for the comfort.

Cheers fella, for a pack mule like me, that doesn't sound so bad. If there is one piece of advice I have taken to heart, it is don't skimp on comfort and one thing I've learned from experience, a good nights kip outdoors is worth the weight of the gear that makes it happen.

Again great work and thanks for sharing.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Cheers fella, for a pack mule like me, that doesn't sound so bad. If there is one piece of advice I have taken to heart, it is don't skimp on comfort and one thing I've learned from experience, a good nights kip outdoors is worth the weight of the gear that makes it happen.

Again great work and thanks for sharing.

Thanks bud, tell me about it I've had a few Baltic nights when I've packed to lightly for the conditions, it's not pleasant having to get up and build up the campfire into a blazing inferno to warm yourself up.

After looking at some commercially available quilts, as long as mine perform well in winter (UK) conditions, I don't think they are to heavy.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Cracking job with those Dave, looking forward to hearing how they perform

goodjob

I got a little bored this afternoon so I stripped off to my bills and jumped into the hammock in the garage and listened to some music for 2 hours. The thermometer didn't move off 7 degrees but I was roasting in the quilts. I'm pretty sure they will work quite well on a proper outing. Not a true test but a good indicator.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Took the quilts out for a night on Saturday and they worked a treat. The lowest recorded temperature was -5 and all I wore was my thermal pants and top so I'm really pleased. The only slight issue was a bit of a cold patch on my bottom. I think I had my suspension pulled too tight so the down was compressed too much at the lowest point. To be honest it wasn't cold enough for me to be bothered getting out to adjust it. I just shoved my norgie under my bum and it was fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE