DIY Folding Bushsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ixion

Mar 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Just want to say thanks for sending the plans through, much appreciated.
This is a level beyond my usual wood butchery, but I'll give it a go, and let you know how things turn out :)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Glad to help - ive sent out about 150 sets of these plans - if anybody has ever made head or tail out of them and managed to produce one id really like to see a piccy on the thread, just to inspire others

Cheers
Nick

lewiman201

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2008
wokingham
Folks

Glad to help - ive sent out about 150 sets of these plans - if anybody has ever made head or tail out of them and managed to produce one id really like to see a piccy on the thread, just to inspire others

Cheers
Nick

I have managed to make head or tail of the plans, in fact i thought there were pretty spot on. My saw is nearing completion, once ive finished it ill post some pics.

Thanks Lewis

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Chaps

JUst a quick update - functionally the redesigned bushsaw survived the BCUK Norway expedition cutting up tp 7" green & dead birch in temperatures down to -25C and performed really well. Carefull choice of tensioning string is essential - paracord with too much stretch will allow the joints to flex too much with each stroke - try to find some cord that doesnt stretch.

Cheers
Nick

PS if you are waiting for plans bear with and ill get them off to you as soon as i can no wthat im back

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Nick

after seeing your saw in action on the Norway trip, I have to say that i was very impressed. Outstanding workmanship, well done.

Could you send me a PDF of the plans please.

By the way has your beard thawed out yet????

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Has anyone tried making this from the plans nick sent you? do you have any advice for someone about to start trying to make one?

is it possible with very basic tools?

Last edited:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Wolfman
Hello mate

PM me with your Email address and ill send some out to you

Beard - first thing i trimmed - having a bit of a problem with swollen feet though

Cheers
Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
How do you know which generation plans you have?

Or would it just be easier to PM you again?

Basically if it says bushsaw-bucksaw2.pdf then you have the latest set - the only difference is the crossbar is about 7mm deeper to give a stronger tenon at each end.

If anybody wants an updated set then drop me a PM with your email again and ill be happy to send it out.

cheers
Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Nick

What tools did you use to make this?

Basic hand tools what youd expect. I did use a jigsaw quite a bit (powered) and I did cut the slots for the blade along the crossbar and up the sides with a small table saw just because it was easyiest but you could use a hand held circular saw or even a router to cut the slots at a pinch.
I guess that if these otions are unavailable then constructing the three main elements fron layers of thinner wood or even ply would make the slots easier to form. I guess a lot depends on the tools available.

Would anybody find it useful if I produced some plans for a laminated or ply version that would need less power tools to construct??

Cheers
Nick

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
4209243870_2e4d04fd6e.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE