DIY Arm gaurd, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locust_jrm

Jan 31, 2007
Durham, North east England
ive been making my own bows for a while now and have found that you tend to need a arm gaurd the hard way. So I had a go at making one myself out of leather... It proply fell apart, can anyone help me?

p.s. Im too cheap to go and buy one, and i think that if you made your own bow, arrows and bow string you should be able to make a arm gaurd.

S

sugs04

Hi,
I'm planning to make one of these so if you have any pics or patterns I would love to see them. :)

Sugs

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
As promised. I've lost the pattern somewhere but here's a quick one I knocked up this morning. I'ts not very welll crafted but you'll get the idea.

The nice thing is that it gives you a nice big area to do some tooling if you want to.

Note the lacing. Both laces come out the same hole at the end. This is so you can put a toggle on them if you want. It's not very 'authentic' but the spring toggles that are on stuff sacks and backpacks work. The ends can be tucked behind the lacing.

By the way if your wrist is getting a slap you should try to adjust your form. Dropping your front elbow or slightly cocking out your wrist will do it. If that fails look at your brace height. Even if you have a bracer on it's still poetially deflecting the arrow.

patternic0.jpg

backfs2.jpg

frontui6.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bentstick,

1) you have rep for a very gerous sharing of your knowledge to answer a specific question

2) Pretty pretty please could you do a tutorial on the rose (or better a simpler design for a klutz) - fantastic and inspirational work

Red

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Beautiful workmanship. I've made a couple of bracers and I found that softening the wrist end helped and meant that the bracer could sit lower on the forearm, something I find more comfortable. I've tried leather carving but never had managed anything that impressive :You_Rock_

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
and you said you had no artistic ability????

I'd love to see a tutorial on making sweet bracers. Alot of stuff available for archery is well, what's the word?......soulless.
nylon quivers plastic tabs etc
What thickness leather are you using? I don't really use a bracer (not macho just abo) but I have found that when, on the rare occasion, my arm gets a whack it REALLY hurts, so maybe I should start to wear one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bent stick

I hadn't thought of the cost etc. PM me your PayPal address and I'll happily pay any costs you incur mate :eek:

Of course I'd need to retain possession of the materials at the end :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That's a loverly bit of leatherwork there! :)

Has anyone come up with a bracer come hand guard? I've been using an Armourguard that I got form Eagle classic at the same time as my Mongol, about 9 years ago! It's a kevlar tube that ha a hole for you thumb to go through. The beauty of it is that it acts as a bracer and protects your hand against fletchings and exploding arrows. I've been meaning to try and make a leather bracer to do the same job, but haven't come up with anything I'm happy with. :(

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I picked up a hand protector at a reenactment fair a couple of years ago. It's got a wrist strap that's joined up the back of the hand to a band that covers the knuckles. it's suede I think. I haven't seen it for a bit but if I can find it I'll post a picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE