Dividers/material suitable for a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I have a nice canvas rucksack and would like to make a set of dividers to seperate out various items inside such as a flask, water bottle, folding saw, bushcraft knife, binos etc.

The stuff they use for camera bags seems to be very expensive for what it is and I wondered if anyone has any ideas on the best way to make a divider and where to get some low cost materials to do so?

May 16, 2011
Perth
have a look in some charity shops for bags might take a bit of shopping about to get what you want but its worth a shot. if you are talkin about the stiff dividers you get in camera bags just use some cardboard and sew some material around it.

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
If you can find some 4-6mm closed-cell foam, EVA or something similar, you're pretty much set. Just cut to size, sew into fabric, sew velcro on, attach to backpack, ready to go. A thin sleeping pad which can be had for a few quid should do the job.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You might also consider using lightweight dry bags of different colours. The trouble with making too many compartments is that you lose some flexibility.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Having thought about it I now think the simplist idea is using some stiff foam and duct tape. Does "stiff foam" have a more technical/fancy name though? Need to search on Google.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE