dismantling an opinel?!1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
a few month ago i found an opinel #10 in very good condition when cleaning out a shed. the only problem is that the blade is very tight in low humidity- currently we have 93% humidity and the timber is swolen that much that i need vice grips to open it... . i intend to dismantle the knife, then slightly sandpaper the slot for the blade and then reassemble it again. has anyone taken an opinel apart and put it back together again or is that not possible?!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for telling me, I've only been using olive oil for a few years but I'll throw the knife away now to be on the safe side...don't know how I could have been so stupid.

Yes, it's quite an easy job. Gently prise off the locking collar with a small flat bladed screwdriver, this will give you access to the pivot pin. file off one of the peined over ends, then you can punch out the pin. The peined ends of the pin hold the locking collar in place.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Some other mods here.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47433&highlight=opinel+mods

if my idea in post #10 does not work i'll try this solution- does the locking collar still hold in place after reshaping the pin?!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Oh extra virgin? I think it's worse as it has more impurities (flavour)

Really? Worse? Its worked for me.

Several members have asked me over the last few months why I don't post a lot...this thread is typical of why not combined with the fact that I can't get out a lot due to health reasons. I had serious dental surgery on the 20th of last month, still have around ten stitches in my mouth so I'm not in the best of moods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE