Dilema: Fleece vs down.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
So far from your opinions and the internet I'm coming to the conclusion that down clothing are better in some respects but not thar spectacular. I'm only talking about british weather and mountains. My number one priority (weight is number two) is convenience, ergonomics and being hassle free so I think I'll just get another fleece that will fit between my existing layers.
My biggest concern with down jackets is the hygiene, you can't really wash them every month or even after every sweatty trip, and how is down doing in the armpits area?
I have tried few garments in the shop and they feel very nice and snug, but the price tag along with the high maintenance is putting me off.

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
I have recently had the same dilemma. What I have concluded (to be tested this weekend in the hills) is that a single light wool or fleece top are fine for walking but once I stop I need something warmer: either down, primaloft, or buffalo. if im backpacking, like this weekend I will take an ultralight down vest and a thin wool sweater, in winter I will take the down vest but also a thin primaloft jacket, the combination together a similar warmth to a thick synthetic duvet but lighter. This keeps weight to a minimum gives a backup if the down gets wet, you may get slightly chilly but wont die, but overall if your careful, store it in a dry bag and wear it only in the bothy or tent, or under a waterproof you can keep down dry.

Overall im not that fond of fleece, quite heavy for the warmth, but yes good in the wet, but overall prefer a couple of thin wool layers with a down and synthetic backup..

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just about the best light jacket I've ever owned was a windproof Reggatta softshell fleecy thing.
Wore it for several years at work, light and very heardwearing indeed.

Burned pinholes in it while MIG welding a transportable lodge chassis together and eventually ruined the zip when I touched it with the grinder.

A down jacket would have croaked and leaked its feathers like a manky old pillow long before that died.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a down vest that I picked up in Tiso a few years ago, it's really good. Packs down to about the size of a water bottle and is seriously warm.
I usually stuff it into the top of my pack when I'm out as a bonus layer, It's proved itself invaluable when sitting around camp at night when the temp drops.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I'd simply say that a light, good quality down jacket is a very versatile and effective garment but also very expensive. If you can get one at a decent price though I'd recommend it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sleeka or Rab photon for me. Although both of these only have a use if stationary or just bimbling around near camp.
To be honest even if you are processing a bunch of wood they can still be too hot.

Both are pertex and not down so pack down slightly larger and weigh a tiny bit more but i will take that over down any day. Especially when you get a nice chigger infestation and everything has to be washed twice! Both also double as a nice pillow when packed. The sleeka in its stuff sack and the Rab folds into its own inner pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE