digital camera recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Hi,

looking to buy a digital camera and would welcome some recommendations. I want a compact camera (ie not an SLR) and it should be small enough to carry around comfortably but doesn't need to be microscopic.

There are so many options around now that it is difficult to know where to start. Any favourites?

D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi there

I advise people on this everyday for my job so here goes....

Rule number 1, you get what you pay for.
There are a lot of cameras out there to confuse and bamboozle.
The higher the megapixel rating the better but if you are never going to enlarge your photo's higher than A4 don't bother with anything above 8megapixel. Be careful of cheaper models offering high megapixel rating. Some of these are intopolated (Use software to process the image) and are more truly rating 3-4megapixels lower than claimed.

Stick to well known brands that have made cameras for a long time. My personal preference is either Nikon or Canon. Not only have these guys got the electronics sorted out their lenses are top notch too, this is just as important as the megapixel rating if not more. Poor lens=poor picture and no amount of megapixels will sort that out.

Go for optical zoom not digital. Optical zoom is the physical moving of glass lenses so keeping the image quality. Digital zoom is done with software in the camera and picture quality drops off really quickly.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I own a Nikon Coolpix 8800 which can be picked up for around £500
The price reflects the lens on that. It's a x10 optical zoom which in 35mm terms is 35mm-350mm built in vibration reduction and 8mega pixel (but i do have an A3 printer)

Cheaper end have a look at:

Canon Powershot S3
Canon Ixus 60
Canon Powershot A530
Nikon Coolpix P3
Nikon Coolpix S4
Nikon Coolpix 4500

All between £150-£350 this is all you should need to spend on a quality, well specified camera. Cheaper than that and picture quality and features will suffer.

Also consider updating the memory card that comes with the camera. More expensive flash cards write the information faster and are worth it IMO.
Expect to pay around £50 for a 1GB card that will hold over 200 photos on most of the above cameras.

Hope that helps..

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Canon Powershot S3
Canon Ixus 60
Canon Powershot A530
Great cameras i've used all of them and they really are good

i was looking at a waterproof pentax the other day i'll dig the modelnumber out and post it

there we go it was a
Pentax Optio W10
quite like one of these

James

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi,
My biggest bugbear with digital cameras is shutter lag- the difference in time between when you press the button and the pic is taken.

Sony cybershots perform well, and I've been happy with my DSC P120.
The problem with Sony is that they use their own memory stick format so they can keep the prices of those up.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm
Found this useful. They have fairly good reviews on the site too.

Hope that helps,
Neil

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

My 2 cents…

I’ve just acquired my first digital camera after 15 years as technical Phot. I’ve now officially made the jump.

It’s a Kodak Z740, no idea how much they are, but not a huge amount I guess. But I am very impressed. Great lens, not much lag, great resolution, great features inc manual over ride and very good macro and not huge to carry about.

As to Memory Cards, I just picked up a 1G card from eBay for £17 delivered.

AJB

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
ArkAngel said:
I advise people on this everyday for my job so here goes....

Sorry for making you think about your day job on such a hot sunny day...

Your expert opinion is appreciated :)
ArkAngel said:
The higher the megapixel rating the better

Any feeling for the minimum resolution to consider?

Nikon and Canon seem to be universally popular with photographers for their higher end cameras but it is good to know that their compacts are good too. I have had a Canon Ixus recommended to me by a friend but they admitted that they only chose it because it was the best seller on Amazon!

Canon Powershot S3
Canon Ixus 60
Canon Powershot A530
Nikon Coolpix P3
Nikon Coolpix S4
Nikon Coolpix 4500

Any particular reason why the Ixus 60 was recommended rather than the 55, 750 or even 800?

How useful/important do people find an optical viewfinder? I am always a bit surprised when they are missing (how do you keep a camera steady at arm's length?) but was wondering if they are important in practice?

Budget? Yes, should have mentioned that before - probably in the £150-250 range but possibly a bit more.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far.

Dave

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Kodak Z740's (5M pixel) on Ebay - new, inc 1G card, C£150

Make you think, again I'm very impressed with mine.

AJB

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fuji Finepix A340, 4 mega pixels, compact, digital zoom, video (no sound) very good on batteries, £60 new on eBay now.

Macro is pretty good too
DSCF1074Small.jpg

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Working on the assumption that you are never going to enlarge your prints any bigger than A4 we recommend to customers a minimum of 3.2megapixels, this also allows for a bit of playing around in photoshop etc.

As for optical viewfinders i don't think i've ever used mine on my Nikon. I have a swing out screen that will tilt and i use that for everything. It's especially good at low level shots that i used to have to scrabble all over the ground for.

To be honest ANY of the ixus range of cameras are good, it's down to personnal choice, size of wallet and how each one feels in your hand. We sell the entire range of Canon cameras from the little Powershot A400 at £75 to the EOS1-Dmk2 at nearly £6000. Anything with a Canon or Nikon badge on works for me. We sell mostly Canon because we also sell Canon printers (our main business) and that is for the simple reason, they are the best, best printing resolution, best value for money, cheapest to own and most important for us, we don't get any back in the shop with problems. This also may be a considering factor, are you going to print the pictures yourself or take to a third party to have them printed? The printer you use can almost be as important as the camera the picture was taken on!!

£150-£250 is a good budget for a quality camera. Have a play with a few models if you can. See if there are any levers, dials or switches that could be caught or broken off easliy. How do the dials feel? positive clicks or cheap and nasty? If they start off slack they aren't going get any better!!!

Look into what the body of the camera is made of Plastic or Alloy? A metal body will be longer lasting and protect the inner parts. Have a look where the batteries and memory card slots are, what are they made of? are they made of plastic with flimsy catches or in the case of mine plastic battery cover but metal memory card cover.

Memory cards- yes 1Gb is available at good cheap prices. However if you end up with a high megapixel rating be aware that the images are large (in my case 22.5Mb per photo) the cheaper memory cards take forever to write the information to them. As it is i use professional quality guarenteed for life cards and it still take 15-20 seconds to write the information to the card. There are now faster than that available and i will be updating soon.

Oh and video- practically every digital camera does video in one form or another. It is usually not very good quality and not worth considering in the package. If you want video...buy a video camera!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My macro work was very hit and miss, then a guy I know at work gave me a small tripod, bloody hell, it makes a difference. Also if you are prone to camera shake, (like me after a few Stella's) use the optical viewfinder, it puts the camera against something solid to steady it (your head).

Night shots are still hit and miss for me, any advise chaps?

Some turn out well, like this one
DSCF1336Small.jpg

Others are crap, what am I doing wrong?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Night shots can be an issue for digital compacts.

In this case you have a light source that your camera could meter for and the autofocus worked fine too. The camera has used the flash accordingly.

If there is no light source the camera may not have enough light to work by.

Difficult to diagnose without a good/ bad photo.....

....any chance of a "crap" shot to have a look at? :)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Here is a easy tripod you can make put a short bolt in camera hole tie a string to it just step on string pull up works for me if you got a shutter speed slow it down a little and open lens no flash

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've recently got a Fuji Finepix E900 that I am very happy with. A very solid little camera with great battery life (takes AAs, so easy to get replacements if you are in the back of beyond and rechargables are cheap). Good range of features and has a rapid start up sequence and the shutter lag is not too bad.
They seem to have come down in price lately too.

aswbcuk

Jun 8, 2006
Kinross, Scotland
I've got an Nikon 4500 and a 4600. Both are excellent. The 4600 (which is now disontinued so can be picked up fairly cheaply) is my every day carry camera and it lives in whatever pack I am carrying. It works on AA batteries and has never let me down in the year or so of owning it. The results from this little camera have been great.

That said, for great macro shots and quality I prefer the Nikon 4500. The swivel/split metal body and internal zoom lens make it great for nature work.

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE