Differential full down underquilt.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I finished my full length down underquilt for keeping my hammock toasty warm. Its made from olive green pertex for the shell and nanoseeum for the baffles. I filled it with 18 oz of 850 fill power goose down. Its 1900 mm by 1400mm with toggled shockcord channels sides and ends. The baffles are 3" so I'm getting between 4 and 5" of loft. Its cut differentially( the inside layer is smaller in both planes than the outside) to keep the UQ snugged to the bottom of the hammock without compressing the down or material. The suspension works well and Ive not noticed any cold areas yet. The shockcord is still a work in progress to get the right tension though hence the unfinished loops.
The pertex I got is beautiful stuff, a bit lighter than other pertex 4ive used and very packable, it feels great to the touch. It weighs in at about 850g including shock cord and packs to a 6" x 6"x 16" box.
I am soooo pleased with how this has turned out, I love the colour and look of it-can't wait to get out and test the downy goodness. I think this will keep me warm to about -16 before needing some foam mats/clothes in bed.

Upside down..
25122010136.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Right way up...
25122010139.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ends cinched..
25122010141.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Side on fitted to my dd...
25122010142.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

See the loft inside...
25122010146.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Shockcord channel exits...
25122010137.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The mounting point for the shockcord...
25122010144.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers, Pete.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Res. ;)
I checked (stole) the dims on full length UQ's and went from there. It most resembles a winter incubator that Hammock gear makes. It was pretty straighforward after getting the sums done, its mostly just straight sewing. I decided on the temp I needed it to handle and made the baffles the right size for the loft I needed. The down came from a very expensive pillow (£175!:yikes:) from John Lewis's-it still worked out the same price as buying the down from the states or from germany and I've got enough left for summer UQ. Good job then that I payed £60 for said pillow :D:cool:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
thats seriously good Teepee!!

i got a meet in january, need to get my finger out and have a play at this,...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great job on that Pete

Need to meet up so I can have a proper look see one day

Cheers Rich. Sounds like a plan to me. Maybe I can measure the dims of your blackbird to make a copy.:pirate:
I like the idea of a pertex blackbird. :hammock:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
After spending 5 nights in the peaks in my hammock over new year, this is now my very favourite piece of gear. I have never slept so well. There is no hint of cold through the fabric anywhere, whether I laid asym or straight. The UQ stays snugged from head to foot. Even the sides of the hammock are toasty, my phone stayed warm in the side pocket. I took my summer down sleeping bag and slept with it only half over me, it was plenty warm enough. As you can see in the picture, the shockcord pulls the top of the UQ over your body a little, boosting the warmth. -5 was the coldest night.

All the untidy shock cord loops in the picture are tied at the right place now for correct tension and the shockcord hooks put on at the same point. I put hooks on the drawstring too, I found it made the fit even more secure with some additional vertical tension. The lump in the bottom is my sleeping bag.

1312011256.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1312011263.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1312011261.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
14012011187.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To be called feather and down, it at least 20% feather, probably nearer 30-40% down. Lots of feather pokes holes through the material and will do an "Andy dufrane" out your quilt. It also won't compact or loft up well. To be called 'Down' it cant be more than 10% feather. Pure down isn't practically possible. Do some googling for cheap down pillows, theres some good discounts about at the moment. You may be able to get 500-600 grams of 650-750 fillpower for less than £60. Well worth the extra, good down lasts for many years if not abused.

Last edited:

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
Looks a fantastically well made piece of kit. Where did you get the pertex? I'm struggling to get endurance and microlight, can only get 4.

One question about the construction though. If your baffles are 3", how can you get upto 5" of loft? Do you not mean height of baffle if you've overstuffed it? Would be interesting to know. And also your differential, what did you work with? 6" and 7"? Sorry if this has been answered but I'm using my phone and I can't see the whole thread.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Overlander, sorry I missed your post-just seen it. Thanks for the comments, glad you like :)

The pertex came from Fabrics n stuff-its similar to pertex 4 but slightly lighter by 3g/m-no real difference at all. I would have used microlight but couldn't source it at the time.

The differential was 6/7" but reduced to make the baffles 4"/ 4 and a bit wide(4 / 4.66 I think) It was overstuffed by about 10g per baffle. The average loft seems to be about 3.5-4", but will fluff to about 5" in the middle if coaxed-due to the pertex ballooning on both sides slightly.

Its about to go into the cupboard for the summer now-I'm well into a 3/4 length UQ now the weather has warmed-this amount of down is far too much now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE