Did a walk in Lapland

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A few weeks ago did a walk in Lapland, the wooded part. Four days and about 60 km. Had #1 son checking my orienteering. It was probably my hardest 60 k as local reindeer had been very lazy and the upkeep of trails had not been done so we looked at the map and went that way. The amount of hill side bogs in that region was large. Walking kilometer after another on soft bushy area gets to ones nerves after two days. One also sweats as temp was mostly around 23C. On the positive side very few mosquitos or midges so we mostly walked in T shirts. Slept two nights in tent and one in a conveniently situated cabin (The state forestry org keeps up some cabins in the more remote areas). We did not see any human tracks, two elk, a few dozen lazy reindeer and some willow grouse laughing at us.

Lost 3 kg of actual weight, took me a few days afterward to regain the water sweated away, I knew I was getting slightly dehydrated but just could not drink enough.

It was very dry so we did not light fires but did our cooking on a Trangia (used 1/2 a liter of spirits in 4 days), I did have my MSR burner with high propane canister as a back up.

My pack weighted about 20 kg when we started, I have to start thinking about weight of things a bit more. A three season 1.5kg sleeping bag is one of the first on the list. Then again a certain amount of redundancy and being prepared for the 0C weather does have some mass.

Have to start planning for next year, I'll look for a region where they have not yet invented the words: bog, swamp, morass or quagmire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE