Devon Weekend....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
The police came? Was this a bush meet or a 999 night? No Lucy, don't do nose jobs but have been toying with the idea of botox parties... I've read the theory, have the legal authority, just need a few guinea pigs..... sorry.... Patients to practice on ;)

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Jon, how much botox have you got ? i wonder what quantity of that stuff you would need to remove the wrinkles from my furrowed brow ? anything else you recommend to get rid of that leathery outdoor look ? oh and i fancy a trout pout .

( cash waiting )

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sorry... I could'nt resist!

111l305.jpg

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Sorry to hear about Lucy's brush with hypothermia, glad everything worked out in the end. Probably a good thing I couldn't make this weekend, otherwise they would probably still be searching me for sharps :) Hope to see everyone at at Dartmoor 5.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
As an aside - Is anyone else finding all the ads popping up everywhere really irritating? Bad enough on the TV, in magazines, on roadsides, in the underground etc. is there nowhere sacred any more where we aren't being manipulated and cajoled!

Reviewing my kit for next year (some would say I am doing that one meet too late). If anyone has any second hand gear they want to sell - layers/waterproofs, tarps and hammocks, sleeping bags, (4 season) bivvy bags, slings etc. please let me know what you have and how much (know how you guys love to upgrade!) I'm not proud - they don't need to be this year's latest all singing and dancing kit, just warm and effective is great. Think I will keep off the ground and well wrapped up next year and restore some of my credibility if I can. Only reason to sleep on the ground will be the fun of a hand-made shelter sometimes.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Whats wrong with ground dwelling? Slings eh? As in rock climbing slings? Have a good few here & krabs quickdraws and so on

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Lucy , the ad thing should only be there until you log in, might make a few more visitors join ! i for one hope it does not become on here full time , any way business is business.

I probably know of a nearly new sleeping bag , going cheap soon , only used twice ! can't divulge owner yet though !
Glad you are feeling better , roll on 2012 , in particular Dartmoor 5.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with ground dwelling !

Lucy, I think your greatest contributing factors were....

Lack of food during the day and evening (your body needs the fuel to burn)
Lack of head gear (true, the 80% of body heat is NOT lost through the head, but through ALL extremities)
Lack of gloves (for the above, bracketed reason)
Lack of layers (a good pair of thermals, is always a good idea)

Most of those things can be worn inside your sleeping bag, if it gets really cold, as long as you don't make yourself sweat.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Huh! Nuffin' wrong with my new bag. It's a great bag...... Just not quite all it was cracked up to be. :sigh:

Seriously now: You didn't get cold at night Lucy, so I don't think you need to change your sleeping system. You might want to revue your day wear for winter time though. A warm two-piece full length base-layer set will only set you back about 20 squid. Not very alluring maybe..... but toastie, which is the important thing. A lot of heat is lost through the head (quotes vary but about 30%) so you might wanna put a beanie on your shopping list too.
Hope you don't mind me saying, but we don't want any more of this - :stretcher:

Roll on Dartmoor 5.

ATB Paul

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The quoted "10% heat loss" through the head is only because the rest of your body is (normally) covered. ( your head is roughly 9% of your body, or so I am told) Wear a hat but no gloves, and you’ll still lose massive amount of heat through your exposed hands.(hands are 2% of the body surface) Layers is the answer, right from the outset you need to think layers, first you need a good compression layer (Aldi sell leggings and tops for under a £10 each) a wicking layer, a windproof layer and if necessary a waterproof layer. Good shoes/boot and two thin pairs of socks. If it’s not too cold then wear thin lightweight gloves( boots sell cotton gloves for a couple of pounds and they are cheap enough to throw away if they get ruined) a scarf and a beanie hat, as it get colder then think over gloves, and a thicker scarf and windproof hat. When it gets really cold then wear mittens.
YMMV

Agree with Paul and Mr Pole here. goodjob

As mentioned by Tadpole, thinner socks are best, as your toes need to be able to move freely, which greatly aids circulation (same with fingers) and warmth.
Scarfs are a good idea, as overlapping layers will keep heat loss to a minimum, as well as stopping drafts.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
All great advice chaps, in Lucys defence , she will by her own admission , not have the most comprehensive kit , which between us we can sort .

A couple of other factors were, that she was getting over a nasty chest infection, she had lost a bit of weight due to that and the stress she had been under , finishing her course work and holding down a full time job , also her proper walking boots were wet , so she wore steelys !
I did offer her a sleep mat , but being as hard as nails she refused, and finally she does not drink alcohol from one meet to the next , and we all know what that can do .

As said before some valuable lessons learned from the experience, it turned out ok ! and we must ensure it never happens again .

Hers too good a member of the gang to lose !!

Ivan...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The quoted "10% heat loss" through the head is only because the rest of your body is (normally) covered. ( your head is roughly 9% of your body, or so I am told) Wear a hat but no gloves, and you’ll still lose massive amount of heat through your exposed hands.(hands are 2% of the body surface) Layers is the answer, right from the outset you need to think layers, first you need a good compression layer (Aldi sell leggings and tops for under a £10 each) a wicking layer, a windproof layer and if necessary a waterproof layer. Good shoes/boot and two thin pairs of socks. If it’s not too cold then wear thin lightweight gloves( boots sell cotton gloves for a couple of pounds and they are cheap enough to throw away if they get ruined) a scarf and a beanie hat, as it get colder then think over gloves, and a thicker scarf and windproof hat. When it gets really cold then wear mittens.
YMMV

Horse bolted? Check.
Door closed? Check.

:rolleyes:

Ok, seriously, I thought something similar on looking at the pictures, and prevention for next time is always good. Life teaches lessons, and in this case no lasting harm was done. Good advice given out here, and I'm sure it will be heeded by all of us, not just Lucy. I'm planning a winter camp more or less solo after Christmas, and this is a timely reminder to make sure I prepare appropriately in terms of kit and pack the right resources in terms of food supplies.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Appreciate all of the sound advice and had given myself a good talking to about only eating three small oatcakes between the evening before and the turkey that evening, and should have got the kettle and had my usual frequent hot drinks. Got careless with the clothing, didn't take into account the nearly two months of chest problems (no jokes please), subsequent lack of sleep and huge weight loss , kept taking my hat off, let my hands get cold when I was shifting wet wood in the morning and never warmed them properly again, left my decent boots at home as they were very wet - the list goes on.... After a lifetime of outdoor living/working and never suffering even slightly from hypothermia, I was taken aback by the speed and intensity.

A very sick bunny before I got there and a very stupid one when I was there.

The good thing is that I found it out by making a mistake on myself and not someone else I was responsible for. I won't be making that stupid sort of mistake again! Will start knitting myself a scarf to keep me busy until the next meet!

Ground dwelling is fine, just not a big fan of stuffy tents. Feels a lot nicer in a hammock.

Will be taking all of your comments on board xx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE