Devil's advocate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Jodie said:
Also, you can exploit Google's ability to search anything on the web by adding
the search string site:bushcraftuk.com/community - this lets you search for
your keywords within the website after the word site:
Apologies for my stupidity but could you please explain this in a little more detail as I don't really undertand how to do it :confused:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I shall certainly try :) If the blurb below doesn't make sense, have a play
around in Google's advanced search, or prod me to rewrite.

When you search for words or phrases in Google it searches in all of the
available web pages - and there are millions of them.

You can restrict things so that Google just searches for that word or
phrase within a particular website. The way to do that is to add the
word site: in front of whichever website you want to search in.

eg. site:www.bushcraftuk.com/community firesteel

It's also possible to restrict your search to particular filetypes, eg
filetype:pDF bushcraft
hunts for anything where 'bushcraft' is mentioned in a PDF.

Hope that helps
Jo

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
ScottC said:
Bringing people up on bad spelling/grammar is really bad form IMO

I don't agree. Spelling is not the issue, when people don't use ANY punctuation it becomes extremely difficult to follow. Often I would answer if I could, but I genuinely have no idea what they are on about. If I have a homework like that, I don't mark it. Forgive me if I need to go even further out of my way but the occasional comma, full stop or capital letter is surely not that much to ask.

I had a letter from Cegga with the axe I bought and I was truly humbled. His spelling wasn't great, he used some wrong words, but he punctuated and made an effort. I knew what he meant.

As for the thread, I agree with Red (again). Kit is easy to discuss - most skills must be seen and then overseen to be properly learnt. I have bought and discovered where to buy good kit from this site which has made my time outdoors a little more enjoyable, but I have met people as a result of 'meeting them' on here and had a great time and then learnt more.

And as for these 'old chestnuts' - keep em coming, you know some people just aren't happy unless they are moaning. ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Jodie said:
I shall certainly try :) If the blurb below doesn't make sense, have a play
around in Google's advanced search, or prod me to rewrite.

When you search for words or phrases in Google it searches in all of the
available web pages - and there are millions of them.

You can restrict things so that Google just searches for that word or
phrase within a particular website. The way to do that is to add the
word site: in front of whichever website you want to search in.

eg. site:www.bushcraftuk.com/community firesteel

It's also possible to restrict your search to particular filetypes, eg
filetype:pDF bushcraft
hunts for anything where 'bushcraft' is mentioned in a PDF.

Hope that helps
Jo
Crystal clear now thanks that is gonna be so useful :You_Rock_

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Number of (probable) truths:

1# I would probably not be putting myself out on a limb in guessing that the majority of the subscribers to this site (including myself) are probably white/British men (hope I am proved wrong but I probably wont be).

2# White men are obsessed with shiny kit, be it a Bergaus Vulcan, woodlore knife or a Fireblade motorcycle. You have to spend your money on something. :rolleyes:

Like others have said before be in this thread, Whats the harm? You can pick and choose what you want to take from bushcraft as its such a huge subject. Similarly you can choose to contribute or not contribute on the threads- there's nothing wrong with provoking healthy debate as its fun.

[sound of my 20 pence's worth tossed onto the ground]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres something I tried once,

Never, ever ever again.

I read back some of my earliest questions. Not just here (I only found this place recently) but across forty years (I'm sad and keep copies of stuff).

Dear God I'm an idiot!

Thank you patient people (Scouts, various nice guys at Lympstone and Woodbury, Magazines, Internet, Uncle Bert, Uncle Richard, my brother etc.) who took the time to teach me. The last one who patiently corrected me was Fenlander. About 10 days ago.

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
sodajoe said:
Most of the people on this site are more concerned about gear and equipment rather than actually learning about plants, skills and techniques.

Discuss.
Well thats not quite true as far as I am concerned....I love kit, yes, but I love wildlife.....I love to see the birds in the trees, the plants, the animals...I love to photograph it all and to share it on here, some people appreciate it, some will comment, but lots don't, cos it ain't their thing....Thats fine, thats life....Most of my threads are in the flora and fauna section of the site. I recently started writing threads about a particular plant and asked folk to add what they know about it, so we could have a good database of plant info on here. I sort of got side tracked with the auctions, so I must get it going again.....
Yes I agree with you, most are into the equipment side of things, but we all make up what is bushcraft and all belong here....

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
How long will it be before someone starts a thread saying that BCUK is just for people complaining about people talking about kit?
:soapbox:

Maybe we should start a Post-Modern section?
:Thinkingo :burnout:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Justin Time said:
How long will it be before someone starts a thread saying that BCUK is just for people complaining about people talking about kit?

Good idea. 'Post Modernist bushcraft - getting out there and doing it (or not) - Ironically' :lmao:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Justin Time said:

Will it happen before the people complaining about those complaining? :rolleyes:

This is after all a community, made up of the different, the wierd, but most of all the wonderful.

Whose strapline is 'Don't sweat the small stuff'?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Mikey P said:
Fair point but I don't think it is out of order. What I'm trying to say is that people should make an effort! A lot of it is sheer laziness - and it's that which I am criticising. We all make mistakes and no-one expects everyone to be at the same standard. However, there is no point in writing something where no-one actually understands what you're trying to say/ask for.

We could get into a whole debate here about lexicography and the way that language evolves (or devolves, depending on your point of view). A forum is a communication resource, for gaining knowledge and exchanging ideas so we can then go out and do something. I just want people to write clearly so that we can all gain something from it. I honestly don't think that's too much too ask.

You mention that you speak German and Japanese - how difficult would it be for you to read a badly written paragraph in those languages as a (possible) non-native speaker?

If someone can't write reasonable English, fair enough. If someone won't write reasonable English, then that is grounds for criticism.

Mind you, I think Voivode said it better! Good rant! Made me laugh too. Heh-heh - I think s/he certainly fell out of the wrong side of a hammock this morning. :D

Agreed mate. Laziness and inabilty are 2 different things.
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of text style writings and substituting an S for a Z which seems to be all the rage recently.

So M8, wot if da uver bruvverz is layzee. C U 8nt slap up me b*tch. :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE