Devastation In The Boreal Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Fire -our best friend or worst enemy?
This summer it was our enemy. Every year here in the boreal forest of Saskatchewan's far north it's the same -people wondering- is this the year my cabin burns?
Fire here is constant and normal, always expected. It's just the location of the next one that's unknown.
We have hundreds of forest fires here every year.

An approaching thunderstorm one evening has me cast a nervous eye it's way, with
my worst fears coming true -lightning and lots of it. Right in the general area of my cabin.

Strong winds precede the much needed rain. I'm hopeful that enough rain will fall to stop any lightning strike from becoming a wildfire. But all too soon the rain stops. The next day will bear watching , as the bush will need to dry out a bit before any potential fire can get a start.

The next morning is clear and bright, another beautiful day. By day's end that all changes as smoke is seen billowing up, getting more intense by the minute. It's not long before I see this over the tree tops, already starting to block the sun
df328dc0.jpg

I get in my boat and head towards the smoke, wanting to get a better idea as to the fire's location relative to my cabin. This is what I soon see: a wall of fire coming my way
315e2004.jpg

At the height of the fire, the roar of it can be heard more than a mile away.
Late in the day the winds drop. The evening coolness helps slow the fire as does the increasing night time humidity. When the winds diminish, the smoke rolls in
6133c8c1.jpg

The day's strong winds have spread the fire in several different directions, turning one fire into many. Here it burns along the lake shore at night in one of many places
4a12961e.jpg

Morning comes, hot and dry yet again. The wind picks up once more, then changes direction, burning areas that would have been safe if it would have stayed from the same direction as the previous day.

Day after day it burns, the smell of smoke is everywhere. A thick haze limits visibility. There is no escaping the smoke as it blankets vast areas of the north.
This fire is just one of many burning across the province.

The winds keep blowing like mad, every day changing direction -often more than once- making the fire determined to consume everything in the whole area.
Finally, some very welcome rain comes, putting most of the fire out, but too late really as there's not much left to burn.

The cabin is saved -I don't know how. But for that I'm immensely grateful. It's been a long and exhausting ordeal. I've never been one to believe in miracles but when I look around it becomes clear -that's what it was. How else to explain it?

The little bit of green around the cabin is all that remains of what was once a beautiful landscape. Now, there's just blackened forest.
Black, desolate and empty. My heart goes out to all the birds and animals. The lucky ones have lost their homes, the unlucky their very lives.
Although this is natures way, a way of renewal, it's also utterly devastating to all things living that made this place their home.

I will never see this area again as it was, nor will my children. Perhaps a grandchild in their old age will see it as I did, or possibly a great-grandchild, as things grow very, very slowly here.

Only a few days after the fire has passed, I see the first sign of life: a spider web on the ground near the hole where it survived
599e18f8.jpg

What was once green is now black
c56ec661.jpg

dbc09cd1.jpg

Another survivor: a spruce grouse clings to a black spruce that miraculously didn't burn
4df2df40.jpg

Here a shed caribou antler lies, with a bog area behind looking unnaturally green
0f35a233.jpg

The spruce and pine needles continue to fall from the fire killed trees
a1004a6a.jpg

The ground is littered by pine cones that have been opened by the heat, starting the renewal of the forest as the cycle continues
3b582d40.jpg

Here a pine waits to drop it's opened cones
7e8061b9.jpg

Some places have burned completely as seen here. Even the tree stumps have burned down into the ground
40c9e1a5.jpg

Here is the location of an old cabin. Before the fire all that remained of it was the outline of the foundation. After the moss and other vegetation has been burned away, this revealed itself
dc07fc26.jpg

An old puck stone
e646fe61.jpg

What a difference! From this cluster of birch amongst the black spruce, beautiful...
1a6884a5.jpg

To this: this is what it looks like now. This is the exact same bunch of birch, shown
from the same general direction
9eb95f84.jpg

Although I'm truly thankful for coming out of such a terrible fire relatively unscathed, at the same time I feel a deep sadness at so much destruction. But such is nature's way, it's life in the bush...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow, first and foremost I'm glad you and your property are safe, but what a leveller in life, it must be a horrendous ordeal to go through.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Although it is really sad, indeed, I can always find comfort in the thought that it IS nature's way and from all this shall come regrowth. Are those trees really all burned to death or are there some just blackened?
I have much more problems with the devastation loggers around here often cause, when they ransack an area. That isn't just cutting down trees, but completely destroying the patch they "harvest".... And there are many of those patches right around the place I live.....

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Wow. It just goes to show the true power of nature and how it not only brings life but takes it away. I'm glad you and your property are safe.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I can sympathise, we lost our summer house a few years ago from a wild fire, the hope was we could rebuild, but we ended up having to knock down the few bits that were left and totally rebuild.

It used to be on the outskirts of a lush and beautiful forest, even 10 years after the fire it's still pretty desolate even now.
The brush area has grown back but there is no way the trees and wildlife that were in the area before the fire will grow back within my life time.

There is absolutely no doubt that fires ravaged the planet long before we as a species appeared, so nature does work it's course.
Difference i've experiences though is that it's usually brush fires that nature causes, these tend to burn a lot cooler than the forest fires we have experienced.

With brush fires animals that burrow into the ground only a few CM can often survive if the fire passes fast enough (to not suffocate the creature), with these types of forest fires though not only does it kill everything anywhere near it, it burns that hot it often seals the top soil as well.
In our case this then caused mud slides, which them finished off most the areas that were not already devastated by the fire.

Sadly our fire was caused by arsonists as are the vast majority of the fires we get over here, some are unintentional mainly they are intentional fires that rage out of control.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for sharing your story and as tragic as it was, it was a relief to hear both you and your cabin survived. Forest fires are a natural phenomenon but that doesn't make it easier to accept for folks who choose to live there.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
It's fascinating to see a first hand account of a brutal but natural cycle unfold, thanks for sharing an experience that isn't often told without dramatic music, too frequent adverts and a booming, sensationalist 'movie talkover' voice... A well told story and it's fortunate you managed to evade the fire yourself.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
I'm glad you and your cabin were not harmed in the fire. Thanks for the photos and sharing this experience with us.
Not many of us get to see the raw power of nature up close and personal like that and I am sure it is both terrifying and awe inspiring. I hope for a speedy recovering of the area around you.

All the best
Conrad

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks to you all for your comments. The most important thing about it was the fact that no one was hurt. As bad as property loss can be, it is replaceable.

it must be a horrendous ordeal to go through.

That it was, also very humbling. Definitely not an experience that I care to repeat.

Are those trees really all burned to death or are there some just blackened?

Most are dead as dead can be, although in some places where the fire was less intense some trees will survive.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that's the best -written post I've read here; I'm very glad it was resurrected as I'd have missed it otherwise...........

I wonder how those places look now in the early days of regeneration?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I wonder how those places look now in the early days of regeneration?

I'd be interested in seeing some current photos showing how the area has recovered so far.

I don't have many because there's simply not much to see, but here's a few, taken one year after the fire:
Jack pine seedlings
IMG_4437_zpsa3d32e14.jpg

The ants have found a new home
IMG_4376_zpse49e03e8.jpg

Some surviving trees along a shoreline
IMG_3002_zpsc015cdf5.jpg

Some blueberry plants
IMG_2992_zps9262ba46.jpg

And lots more blueberry plants. Here the fire was not as hot as in other places, as can be seen by the trees. In other places as shown above in 2012 where the trees and ground have been burned completely black, there is almost zero ground growth yet. It will be much longer to begin to recover.
IMG_4449_zpsea6f1f22.jpg

In a few years time, there will be tons of blueberries. This pic is of the blueberries we can expect to be picking in the future, taken in an old burned area. Happy bears!
IMG_3202_zpsefe32178.jpg

This is what it will look like in about 12 to 15 years time, which is when this particular area burned, just a few miles away
IMG_4721_zpsaed258b9.jpg

IMG_4484_zps21c67efc.jpg

I cannot take any pics of growth in 2014, as summer is still a few months away. Currently, there is still 2 to 3 feet of snow in the bush.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the update. It surely is a very long and slow process, eh? I've often thought of how lucky we are here to not have
to go through the fire thing as you guys, and others around the globe, do.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the update. I know the process is slow, that's kinda why I asked. I tend to think of the "restoration" more as stages in the growth of a forest. As you said, you and your children will never see the stage of the forest as it was before the fire. But now you get the chance to see the early stages of it's growth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE