Detachable ice spikes for walking on ice

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tried a set of kahtoola micro spikes and was very impressed but at £45 they arent cheap. willing to pay for them but would like opinions of other brands. I see there are cheaper sets on the market anyone got these and are they happy with them. Bear in mind I live and work in the countryside so not a lot of gritting etc going on.

Orric

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I bought a pair of cheap ones like the kahtoola first. Was supposed to fit a size 9 but it was stretched to the extreme. This caused the links to squash and seperate and the heel spike come loose. Fixed it and gave to the wife and because there looser they dont strain and are just as good as my Kahtoola that I bought to replace them with.

The advice then; they are fine as long as you get a pair that are definatly big enough and not at the extreme end of the stated size. And boots are bigger than the shoes you see them advertised on.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a pair of Yaktrax Pro's for walking the lanes when we get snowed in. They aren't exactly "Ice spikes" - but then we don't get much actual "Ice" on our road.

They are very good on compressed and frozen snow for the mile and a half into town and don't appear to be bothered by the occasional stretch of gritted road or pathway.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have the kahtoolas. Very good bits of kit. Compared to the Yaktrax XTR's, I think the Yaktrax just have the edge but its a very minor difference.

I paid £30 for mine from Ebay.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got some cheap ones from sports direct, seen the same ones in tesco. Cost £8. THey have a wire spring on a stretchy black frame. Fit my size 9's no problem and work very well.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have a pair of Yaktrax Pro's for walking the lanes when we get snowed in. They aren't exactly "Ice spikes" - but then we don't get much actual "Ice" on our road.

They are very good on compressed and frozen snow for the mile and a half into town and don't appear to be bothered by the occasional stretch of gritted road or pathway.

ATB

Ogri the trog

+ 1

Used mine yesterday and very impressed.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Here in New England we have about three months of complete frost each winter. I have found MicroSpikes to be really good for icy trail walking. Obviously, they are not crampons, bt fir trails up to about 25% grade they work very well once the snow has been trampled down. I have used them for threee years without any deterioration. Friends using the coil type Yaktracks find they wear out pretty quickly in comparison. So they are, IMO, very good for all winter trail conditions except deep fresh snow, when snow shoes are more appropriate. The REI reviews of these are almost uuniversal praise:
http://www.rei.com/product/774966/kahtoola-microspikes-traction-system
I suppose you could say that I am a fan:)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have Olang Centauro boots with built in ice spikes that you can deploy when needed

products_image2-3252.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE