despertely seeking seasoned 1/4" or 7 or 8mm ash board!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I can find any number of folk in the US who supply it for the marquetry trade but could some one tell me where I can get some 1/4 inch ( or 7 or 8mm in new money) seasoned ash board in the UK? I need a couple of two foot lengths at least 3 inch wide or one +6 inch width I can cut down the middle.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It occurs to me that I could possibly use the basswood they sell in model shops. Thats lime to us on this side of the pond. In the US its about $1.70 for a 1/4 x 3 x 24 inch sheet but over here the cheapest Ive seen it is £4 which is what? $6.60 which is a obscene mark up. I think they have found lime used in scabards and its lovely stuff to work with. I'll do a bit more research.

ATB

Tom

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
theres a place in hyde that sell ash called illingworth and ingham i go there for ash boards to make bows. they will cut it to size for you if you ask them

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! It's a bit far for me to get to for such a small amount but if I ever get the dosh to blow on all the wood I have projects planned for, that's the sort of place I need to hit.

Thanks!

Tom

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
1/4" is 6.35mm in accurate money;)

Have you tried your local hardwood timber merchants? There's loads of places that will do that for you if you phone them up and ask them.
Be aware that many of these places don't do fancy internet selling and just speaking to a bloke gets better results than sending e-mails.

Ash is a fairly common hardwood to use in the UK and many will have some or know where you can get some. I have some upstairs for a project but I'm keeping it I'm afraid.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's still a lot less than getting the modellers basswood. Infact since a day rover bus ticket I'd £4.70 it's still cheaper than me going into town to fetch it! It's a very kind offer anyway, thanks! Not to mess you about I'll have a last look around the valley on Monday to see if I can source it locally and if not I'll get back to you.

just to be clear it's two pieces 3 inch wide by 24 long with one smooth face each I can carve the hollows for the blade out of. 1/4 inch thick would be good although I suppose 3/8 ths would give me more wriggly room as I hope to fit in a sheepskin lining.

Anyroad, thanks again!

Tom

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Where did you get your 1/4" Ash from in the end? I am in the market for the same to make a couple of knife scales.

Thanks

J

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A kind chap on the forum is cutting me some from a board/plank he has in his shed. The local timber merchants said they could get it in but only as a six foot lenght, 6" x 1",

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just received some excellent ash boards along with some hide glue and a lovely big block of box wood so i'll be starting the proper longseax sheath. This isn't bushcrafty being a historical reproduction but would folk like to see the process?

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes Indeed! , and as far as I'm concerned it's as much bushcraft as most of what we do..............

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just received some excellent ash boards along with some hide glue and a lovely big block of box wood so i'll be starting the proper longseax sheath. This isn't bushcrafty being a historical reproduction but would folk like to see the process?

ATB

Tom

Yes please :)

I can't see how making a sheath using native materials in a traditional way is anything BUT bushcrafty!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nowt major in the bushcraft line, got some Denby and Pearsons Pottery at 50p a pop. my tool guy was looking a bit under the weather and hadnt brought much stuff this time. i got this lot for £5.

16022014carboot_zps190b6b2d.jpg

I was pleased to get the 6 inch grinding wheel for a couple of quid as I had picked up a hand cranked wheel for a quid a while back, the bare metal bits had rusted a lot but it was clean as a whistle inside. It's now stripped and pickling in a immensely strong boiling hot citric acid solution (the 2kg bag I scored went to my head!).

The guy did have several of these, hes not decided how much they will be as we donbt know what it is yet. It's some sort of pump and if im imensely lucky its for a army field forge but its not like any in my books, any one know what it is for?

00000mystpump_zps1f41d3be.jpg

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The bacon egg and sos sandwich from the van was good as well. The surplus tool guy said he would have more stuff next week.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just checked the pickle and the super strong solution is amazing, after a hour thick rust is now shiny metal with no use of a wire brush!, its starting to attack the enamel paint so i will pull the bits out soon and dry them off, then ill drop in a old sledge hammer head the middle son dug up thats rusted to hell and back. if it cleans off and I get it skimmed it should make a decent small anvil. maybe.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE