desert/jungle boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
Dear all,

since I travel very frequently to rural India (especially north east) I was looking into buying a jungle or desert boots. My budget is limited (i.e. I can't afford £130 for new LOWA desert elite) but I can afford used ones...My requirements is to stay dry and be durable. I checked in ebay and I am dubious among 3-4 options:

1) used (grade 2) lowa desert elite (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170924537254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

2) used (grade 2) meindl desert fox (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330590608...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649) I read a thread in here about them

3) new US jungle boots (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-ARMY-C...76?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item45fee11a84 or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-I...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4ab8ece6b2)

4) new UK jungle boots (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item35c0b034c5 it says they have holes for drainage but what if is very muddy that would just let mud in and not really drain it) or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280991709177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

5) this boots which should be magnum boots http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321000123305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Any recommendations?

Cheers

P.

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
I thought that at least lowa and meindl boots would be a bit better. I could do with a seal skin socks though. On the other hands I don't want also to be too hot and sweat.

Any suggestions?

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I wouldn't put the sealskins in them, you might as well be wearing a goretex boot then. You could try and find a full leather ankle boot, without any lining. All leather won't smell, keep out some moisture, and won't be as hot as a lined boot.

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
I don't understand. Are you going to be in the jungle or are you going to be in the desert?

I'm going to either assam region (tropical forest) and southern india (kerala) so I would say both. but as pointed out by rabbitsmacker maybe what I need is full leather non lined boots to be dry but not too hot... I will search in that direction and perhaps ask further question. meantime if anyone has good experience with jungle boots it would be useful to the community to hear that.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Full leather isn't really the best thing to wear in the jungle.

You can pick up canvas ankled jungle boots cheap enough. I paid £10 for mine at a boot sale and they were fine.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I don't know anything about Jungle or desert travel on foot, buy if I were you I would be looking at a decent pair of dedicated desert and seperate jungle boots. You will be on your feet for the majority of the time so why scrimp on footwear and risk having a miserable time of it with chaffing, blisters, possibility of infections, being a burden on you colleagues and associated problems?

Research is key here if you are asking, there must be good reason why people use a jungle boot similar to the US canvas panel and leather deep tread sole boot that dries relatively quickly. Then the desert boot thats light, made of leather, canvas panels and suede with good high ankle support.

Trying to make one boot work for both of the more harsh environments of the world just seems stupid to me.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
.What is your plan? will you be treking/camping through the jungle/desert or just visiting the outskirts for a day trip?

Assuming you will be hiking/treking from camp to camp, Another tip would be to work out your rucksack weight/load and "well" before you leave, wear both pairs of chosen boots/socks to break them in before the trek/walk/hike working up to the distances you expect to travel. Your feet will spread/rub/hotspot with the extra weight of the pack and the pack will gain weight in wet conditions.

Your also going to be clambering through allsorts of stuff and making the boot work at angles you wouldn't get just by bimbling down the road. might be worth considering that too.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I have to say the US jungle boots are one of the best boots I've ever used, they are region specific, though I've never been to the jungle and have still had many pairs and used them to destruction. If your trip is going to be to a specific location then get footwear that is specifically designed for the conditions you encounter if they are going to be an extreme. You need to ask what you want the footwear to do and where they are going to do it.
Full leather in the jungle I should imagine you are heading straight at trench foot. I only suggested them as the original message seemed to require the features of both boots but with the need to not get wet feet which neither will do.
Dunno, determine what u are going to do then kit up with the correct gear and not try to roughly guess.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Realize that by design, jungle boots are not and cannot be waterproof. The assumption is that you will eventually wade through water that is deeper than the top of the boots. Therefore they not only have canvas panels (at least the originals did; the modern ones have nylon panels) but they also have drainage vents near the bottom of the boots.

The earliest desert boots were nothing more than tan colored jungle boots with the vents removed to help keep out the dust and sand. Now almost all modern desert or jungle boots are a bit better designed than originally and have better materials BUT!! neither is designed to be waterproof even now.

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
yeah I saw so the video with Ewan, great stuff Ray's tips.

Will keep an eye on cheap US jungle boots and try to aim to some used Lowa

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
yeah I saw so the video with Ewan, great stuff Ray's tips.

Will keep an eye on cheap US jungle boots and try to aim to some used Lowa

Be careful with the US jungle boots. They are a good design but they've been around since the 1960s and there are loads of cheap copies out there.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
+1 on the US jungle boots. I spent a period of 2 months in jungle with them and had no problems whatsoever. I've used them elsewhere but never in arid areas. As they are designed to shed water quickly and made with fabric panels they should deal with heat but they are heavier that desert specific boots.
As well as following the advice about copies, also bear in mind there are different width fittings as well so try more than one shoe size and width to get the right pair. You should find plenty as most troops time in the jungle is limited and so lots of boots in good nick find their way to the surplus market.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I spent some time in Kanartaka which I believe is similar to Kerala, I would just say regular boots would be fine rather than special jungle boots, I dont know about the other places but in the tropics here I still wear regular boots, Timberlands actually, the locals wear flipflops

if you get the chance to fish in India go for it, its the home of the mighty Mahseer but watch out for crocks when on the water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE