Desert, Jungle and Snow with Mors

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Managed to get around to loading a few pics from my recent travels on the first weekend ive spent at home this year :C. Have been really lucky with the places ive have been to with work and people ive managed to meet on the way though its warn off now as im away to saudi next week for 2 months 8)
Qatar
Spent 20 days working along the coast and got to practice a bit of practical vehicle rescue, watch the flamingos and visit an intresting Falconry shop inbetween cutting about in the sand and wadis.
d3.jpg

D1.jpg

d2-1.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Then headed off to SE Asia travelling mainly along the East coast of Malaysia and west coast of Sumatra along the Malacca straights. Spent over 2 months in Malaysia this year and would like to say a special thanks to Ash (BOD) and Keong (Bandal4) for there hospitality and excellent company even sorting out visiting one of the last fire piston makers in SE Asia - cheers guys.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0214-1.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0325-1.jpg

IMG_0333-1.jpg

IMG_0352-1.jpg

IMG_0337-1.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

This fish was 2.5 feet long a member of the mackeral family (though i dont remember th name) it junped into the boat whilst we were doing 35 knots and hit me in the face to much amusement of our local pilot :p

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
When i got from work i was fortunate to be asked on a trip to Canada by Stuart for a course at Mors Kochanski home. Was a great trip and a privilege to learn from the man himself to make new friends and consolidate existing ones cheers Stuart, Rod, Steve, Chris and Dave least not i forget Mors who was the epitome of a gentleman in every way.

can1.jpg

can3.jpg

can6.jpg

can10.jpg

can11.jpg

can2.jpg

can5.jpg

can7.jpg

can8.jpg

can4.jpg

can9.jpg

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
It's official, I hate you :)

As someone working in an office 37.5 hours a week with a 1 hour M4 commute into Cardiff for work you are living my dream. Please, more pictures so I can live vicariously through you!

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
:) its not great trust me just has some good moments everynow and then; you need a very understanding missis when your only at home for a few days every few months. I was working 20hr days in asia it just that it incorporated some nice places and a little downtime :D

i'm sure the guys will post up some of the other cracking pics form Canada. Sadly i cant post most of the more intresting asian pics as they have things in them to do with work which prevent me :dunno:

Glad you have enjoyed seeing them

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Managed to get around to loading a few pics from my recent travels on the first weekend ive spent at home this year :C. Have been really lucky with the places ive have been to with work and people ive managed to meet on the way though its warn off now as im away to saudi next week for 2 months 8)
Qatar

are you away to Qatar or just back? I live there, feel free to look me up if you want some desert adventures

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Cool. The job was between Al wakrah and messiad (spelling wrong sorry) and im sure i will be back there at somepoint though i'll be in Riyadh from monday for a couple of months

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Excellent stuff Will.

After my six week contract in Sweden turned into five months I think that I'l be pretty much confined to the UK for the foreseeable future, unless I get offered that dream job where I can take Mrs Cumbrian and the two Li'l Cumbrians too.

Cheers, Michael.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Cool. The job was between Al wakrah and messiad (spelling wrong sorry) and im sure i will be back there at somepoint though i'll be in Riyadh from monday for a couple of months

you were practically at Sealine then and the start of the dunes, are those photos you getting stuck at the Inland Sea? its difficult to recove from those flood areas, best avoided normally

good luck in Saudi, keep your head down there, obey the rules!

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
you were practically at Sealine then and the start of the dunes, are those photos you getting stuck at the Inland Sea? its difficult to recove from those flood areas, best avoided normally

good luck in Saudi, keep your head down there, obey the rules!

Yep completely agree sadly it was the intertial and dune area that had to be surveyed

Cheer Dano i'll be on me best behaviour :)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Will,some great pics thanks for posting.I do so like this fish trap,it looks like its made of Bamboo strips and woven with a vine of some type.No hoops involved.I would dearly liked to have a talked with the maker,lovely work so it is.
IMG_0337-1.jpg

Thanks again.
Cheers Stuart.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Hi Stuart, i think that it may possibly be made from ratan. Its worth speaking to BOD as he goes there regularly. Its was made by the same guy as the fire pistons (the man in the yellow shirt)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
... area that had to be surveyed ...)
What do you do for a living? Please, please don't say that your some form of land surveyor!

Once upon a time I was a surveyor but ended up passing on work overseas as I was engaged. 20 years later and the surveying career bombed (damn the last recession!) and I'm divorced from the girl and working in an office in Cardiff not able to afford holidays abroad! At least I've managed to stay in the GIS/mapping field with the (admittedly slim) possibility or rekindling a career in the field when my kids are off my hands.

In the meantime please keep the photos and posts coming in :)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
land/geodetic/hydographic/engineering Surveyor lol The industry is still very quiet thats why i'm working offshore as i had to put my own survey company into tick over as there just wawsnt the contracts to even bid on. Be a while tillit picks back up in the UK but theres lots of work if you dont mind going to Africa or the middle east

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE