Depressing walk :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a brilliant photo Andrew :D

Sympathies to everyone else feeling helpless to stop this in their area :sigh: I got everyone from SWT to SEPA involved, and they all said the burn and it's environs ought to be protected.
Doesn't stop Council planning eejits though and the village council is a load of seatwarmer back patters.

Dogoak, if there is a known feature in that bit of land, a recognisable view or rocky bit or a specific tree, a fence or dyke, then take photos. Take lots of photos through the year, post them online, Pinterest is free, and make sure that these are seen. If you do manage one of something like a watervole then send the image to the local paper. They nibble the grass outside their burrows and create 'lawns'. If you have more than one photo of that then chances are it's a breeding area.
Too late for my bit, but apparantly evidence like this is now becoming acceptable as reasons not to disturb when other areas are available.

Best of luck with it.

M

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Without getting political all they bang on about is GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH as if it's the best thing ever? Will they be happy when there is not a shred of greenery about and we are all shoulder to shoulder packed into this land like Sardines?

If anyone here read 2000AD as a boy I have visions of a future like The Mega Cities! Growth y see!

United Nations, Agenda 21. Seriously look it up.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Thanks Mary, unfortunately too late now.
We did have an incident the year before last when the land owner ploughed some fields further away during the nesting season! (not the first time) The police got involved, don't know how :rolleyes:, they confirmed that a crime had been committed, however without photographic evidence along with GPS coordinates for each nest a prosecution was extremely unlikely, they were going to have a word with him though, hopefully he will think twice before doing it again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe not to stop any building, but such records can greatly limit their extent, and their site.
If you know 'why' that site was specifically chosen….water, sewerage, electricity provision for instance….then that's harder to stop, unless drainage is a real issue or potable water supplies are limited, but the rest can be challeged.
I spoke with a couple of countryside rangers about it. They said that you need the skittles in line before building work starts, not necessarily before permission is given. Permission can always be challenged.

M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I didn't count the number of hours we spent researching the National Park's planning requirements, the council planning regulations and local development plans, etc; but it was days.
There were a lot of objections from others in the area and others outwith including one of our forum members and his wife who are regular visiting friends :cool: The National Park didn't feel the need to 'call it in' but due to the numbers of objectors it was discussed at a council meeting, basically people with no qualifications or background in planning, or living locally, making the decision.
The good news is that we managed to get 2 other permissions refused.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds like a sterling effort :)

The British housing industry is a total screw up. People buy hoping to profit, not just to live in a home and area. The driving force for the constant 'must build more' is money. Instead of tearing down bad housing and replacing it with better there's this nasty sneaking miasma of 'new builds' on green land.

My Aunt's still complaining about the streets behind her house though, they were put up sixty years ago, and before that she minded looking out the windows onto fields of cows.

Now there are no fields here.

M

We , the population of this country are seen as a crop by the government of this country, the more of us there are the larger the income they derive from us. Buy a house they derive an income and you become traceable , travel to work more income for them , the government in the long term does not give a S**t about the environment or the country, just how much money they can fill their pockets with. e.o .r end of rant

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And then theres the empty housing problem. And maybe the derilict housing problem? Where did I read that one of Scotlands biggest landowners has many ruins but refuses to sell them? I cant recall. Any how, the Highlands are apparently increasing in population for the first time in four hundred years...

mrcharly, what as so often happens, the brownfield site is more biodiverse than farmland?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE