Dependable Snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just having a random pondering as I look out at the rain.

Where is the closest place I could go this winter to get some dependable snow to have a play around in? Not after mountains and the like, but somewhere I can practice some skills in the snow and enjoy some winter. I'm in Kent, and don't do airports.

Any ideas?

Julia

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Pray for snow, be prepared to go to Scotland at short notice or learn to fly. Or get a train to the alps (France/Italy).

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Do airports - fly Gatwick to Oslo on Norwegian Air (for peanuts - cheaper than a train ticket to Brighton...), get train to Songsvann, walk into Nordmark woods. Job done.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Pyrennees will give you reliable snow - and incredible landscapes with great people

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
The Pyrennees will give you reliable snow - and incredible landscapes with great people

what red said, really really nice place. i spent a month or so walking along the range and loved it, finished up in Spain where i got some wonderful local wine for peanuts...;)

and you could drive or train it....:):):):)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just having a random pondering as I look out at the rain.

Where is the closest place I could go this winter to get some dependable snow to have a play around in? Not after mountains and the like, but somewhere I can practice some skills in the snow and enjoy some winter. I'm in Kent, and don't do airports.

Any ideas?

Julia

Snow above 1000ft here now. Basically above 2000ft you will get snow in Scotland. That's why the treeline is there or lower. Last winter had huge dumps, some patches lasting all year.

Get the sleeper to Aviemore and get up in the Cairngorms on the plateau.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Have you come across http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm#.VIGNMTGsXTo
A site dedicated to planning journeys by rail. Might help you get to your destination.

Yep very familiar with it, I've travelled to all sorts of places in Europe without flying, including Krete and Lithuania...

Working out the routes is not the difficult part, knowing where to go is. I was curious if there might be somewhere closer than the obvious mountains of the Alps and Pyrenees. The Breacons, Dartmoor, and the Ardenne are the easiest "wilderness" areas for me to get to from Kent, but have passport, will travel...

Snow above 1000ft here now. Basically above 2000ft you will get snow in Scotland. That's why the treeline is there or lower. Last winter had huge dumps, some patches lasting all year.

Get the sleeper to Aviemore and get up in the Cairngorms on the plateau.

That is really rather tempting...

Cheers everyone for your helpful replies...

Julia

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think your problem Julia is the word "reliable". When I lived there, Dartmoor saw snow regularly - but I wouldn't call it reliable - it happened, but not like it happens in Catalonia. If you are willing to drop everything when it happens, UK snow is great. i you want to plan around a fixed set of dates, you will get more reliable snow abroad.

Also snow in Bavaria is....breathtaking!

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
'UK snow is great' not at 6 am it aint, when you have to reverse up a winding track in a blizzard 'cause the wife nearly goes down a gulley trying to get to a main road ;-) .....

I'm asking that greek saint bloke for a nice reliable tracked form of MT!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I left school (work) on the bell and drove 20mins and went up Dumyat a wee hill behind Stirling. Quite icy but no crampons required (carried though). Some snow filling in wee gully lines. Mild 9 degs tomorrow so looks like the snow line will creep up to 2000ft or so, as it does most winters. 100mph gusts on the tops tomorrow. Forecast looks good for the weekend.

All mountain areas of Britain from Wednesday 10th December 2014

Generally westerly winds will give almost constant upland gales, sometimes storm force, particularly in Scotland, until winds ease next weekend. Precipitation, substantially snow and hail, will be considerable on western mountains, especially the W & NW Scottish Highlands. Freezing levels typically 600m, occasionally lower at the end of this week, with only brief periods of thaw on higher summits - and in Scotland from Wednesday several days of uninterrupted freeze. Next week cycles of freeze & thaw likely more common.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE