Delusional?

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I'm sure I remember seeing some pictures of mini totem poles on here. I've tried to find them but no luck yet. Can anyone direct me in the right direction? Thanks, people.

I've heard that may be a little job is coming my way. Telegraph poles were mentioned. Might be fun, might be a pig, but any inspiration will be helpful if the task gets sent my way.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have no idea where you can get any inspiration mate but I can rassure you that if Mr CH has anything to do with it.......

...... it WILL be comming your way! ;) :lmao: - no point in trying to resist! :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
No you are not going mad I remember them too. There were at least a couple of posts. can't remember by whom though, sorry:rolleyes:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Personally if it involves telegraph poles I would run a mile. I ran some through a sawmill once and it was a disgusting job, icky tarry, creosote stuff everywhere. I would not want any of my carving tools near one. Talk the potential customer into buying a proper tree from a local tree surgeon, it will not cost much.:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Personally if it involves telegraph poles I would run a mile. I ran some through a sawmill once and it was a disgusting job, icky tarry, creosote stuff everywhere. I would not want any of my carving tools near one. Talk the potential customer into buying a proper tree from a local tree surgeon, it will not cost much.:)

I'll second that,
A few years ago BT were replacing poles around here and I scrounged one to use as a gate post. When drilling through it, the tar was flowing out before the drill had stopped - the tag showed that it was erected in 1958 :eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd tend to agree about the telegraph poles. Even with a chainsaw, it'll knacker your chain in no time flat. Besides, there could be hidden nails and all sorts in there. The creosote is awful stuff as well.

Eric

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks everyone.

The project is for out Scout Group and the poles have been donated by the farmer whose building we have our HQ in.

So the job is going to be the pig of my worst nightmares then?

Something that was suggested to me would be to make the carvings as panels and fix to the poles when they are done. Any thoughts on that scheme? I gather that is not a historically correct way of doing things.

rancid badger

I had a load of trouble with my photos on photobucket and ended up deleting a load to put it right-never thought about the stuff posted on here:twak:
anyway heres a one of the "gang" I haven't made any for a while now.
donetotems.jpg

Sorry about that
anyway, hope these give a little inspiration to one or two;)
best wishes
R.B.

rancid badger

as explained in the original thread; I just do these as "doodles" usually from rowan saplings or occasionally, from cherry.
They are excellent for developing knife skill's and confidence + only take a few hours to do.
Mind you, I also use a small chip knife and a gouge for some of the details, so it's not just Whittling!

We'll have to have a go on the Saturday evening when you come up in September:)

To be honest, I'm was both amazed and humbled by the reaction I got when these were posted on here:eek:
I would love to do an event on the subject at some point next year and it would be great to get a few more folk from here involved.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for the kind words
Best wishes
Steve
p.s.: anyone want a rather large braided belt?:D (see member classifieds for explanations:sulkoff: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE